We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late March El Careyes Activities

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Careyes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Late March El Careyes Activities

My family and I (11 yr old b & 17 yr g)aill be at the hotel for six nights. Using airmiles so driving to and from Guadalajara (five hours I am told?). Suggestions for outings appreciated. Preliminary plans:

* horseback riding

* snorkel (likely 2 days)

Not sure if any cultural (as in heritage) sites may be near and accessable, or other ideas for getting both a tropical paradise expereince AND a bit of Mexico.

Many thanks in advance.

dallas
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Late March El Careyes Activities

Sorry for the delayed answer, I am in Europe and my friend is in Mexico so it took a liitle time to connect.

It is one of these things that the way we would go, and the easiest way for someone who has never done it are different so we had to think about it.

The easiest is to take the highway from the airport toward Guadalajara, you will come to a highway loop where you will be going west toward Hwy 80 and the signs should mention the tollway also, then you turn south on Hwy 80 (again I believe even at that point they mention the Tollway, then highway 80 for a short way which splits into the Tollway. The Rental Car people will show you on a map, it really is quit easy.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Late March El Careyes Activities

Hope Europe is treating you well. Have been researching as many maps that I can find and think I understand the loop you are suggesting. Will our first time driving in Mexico, so a bit nervous about it.

dallas
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Late March El Careyes Activities

The trip is really pretty simple, especially once you get away from Guadalajara. The airport road takes you out to a main road (44) just follow the signs toward Gudalajara, the first intersection you come to of major highways is 15D/80 you want to go west (the 15D direction) you then come to another major intersection that should be marked both 80 and 54D and you go south, it then splits and you stay on the bigger road (54D) following the signs for Ciudad Guzman, Colima, Manzanillo. You take that road as far as you can and right above Manzanillo it will put you on Hwy 200 which you take north to Careyes. Be sure to have pesos before you leave the airport, it would be possible to get them on the way but inconvenient although you might get some at the airport then stop at a bank in Barra de Navidad or Melaque to get more, there are banks in both places that are easy to access from hwy 200 but do not know if they would be open by the time you are going through.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Late March El Careyes Activities

picked up 5,000 pesos for the trip, so hopefull that gets through the tolls and a few meals. we will be keeping these helpfull details with us

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Late March El Careyes Activities

Finally the day is here, well a couple of days. All the suggestions and directions printed to take. Any last thoughts, comments or late developments in the area or on the roads appreciated. Looking forward to a fabulous week in paridise...