We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Acapulco/Princess (we drove) APRIL-2014

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Acapulco/Princess (we drove) APRIL-2014

Hello ! Just finished a visit, April 2014:

This is an UPDATE to my original May-2013 post, at link:

tripadvisor.com/…49872893

The Fairmont Princess has remained SUPERB and in no way has anything "gone downhill" or deteriorated since our last visit. We book via Fairmont website, at $170 per night. No food included. Some observations....

Chula Vista breakfast and dinner buffett (I should have checked the price, but did not...) seems to be a little higher. Basically, for two adults, and two kids age 6 and 8, plan on $100 US dollars for a dinner or breakfast buffett. It is what it is. I want to say the food ** may ** be less tasty than my first visit in 2013, or possibly my first visit just knocked my socks off so much that it is now that much harder to impress me. In any event, the food at Chula Vista is still very good.

What we typically did (we spent M-F) was eat a LATE breakfast, 11AM or so, and "ate big", then skipped lunch, then ate pizza slices or sandwich from Cafe Chocalate across from gift shop. We ate Chula Vista dinner buffett maybe twice the entire week. The above strategy was not because we were cheapskates but because the kids wanted to play in the pool all day and it just worked out that way.

NOTE: The hotel is at FULL capacity during Semana Santa, check the Mexican holidays or you will be fighting crowds.

Plan on 90% of the occupants being local (country of Mexico) tourists.

The beach remained fun, and clean, and my only complaint was that some rental Jet-Ski's (not associated to hotel) tended to blast by and close to swimmers. Seems like the Jet-Ski rental dudes would "show off" to get interest in rentals but to be honest nobody was interested and quite a few people gave them dirty looks.

Travel: We drove Mexico City to Acapulco, this time (same as 2013) and ZERO ISSUES. I recommend people install Google Maps and Waze App (very popular in Mexico) to check traffic flow / congestion. Again, NO ISSUES, NO PROBLEMS, NONE, of ANY kind. We (of course) took the Toll Road aka "Cuota"

Perla Tower was available for "higher rate", my prior visit I was upgraded free but this time around the hotel was full and they did not grant it.

Free Wi-Fi if you join the Fairmont Club or whatever it is called aka Marriott Rewards type club. Join for free

Pool Towel system is haphazard, you go to the towel desk and they give you whatever many towels and you sign a "check out card" which stays at the desk. Turn the towels in, and the card gets updated and they tell you to "keep the card." However between wet swimsuits etc the card is gonna get lost. No worry, as next day, they just give you a new card, and tell you to "hang onto this card, it is very important etc etc" (???). In any event, the towel system could be improved

Summary: Hotel remains EXCELLENT and we plan to CONTINUE to use this hotel during future visits.

Happy Travels

Tour by Van
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Asistur Acapulco
Sightseeing Tours, Archaeology Tours, City Tours
Romantic Taxco Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ontario
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Acapulco/Princess (we drove) APRIL-2014

Thanks for the report, Lisa. I've been to the Princess for a visit, but a stay is on my bucket list. Well done.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Acapulco/Princess (we drove) APRIL-2014

Glad the trip went well especially the drive.

We've stayed at the Princess a few times and enjoyed most everything about it. I found it worth a weekend on 2 separate occassions but have saince gotten it out of my system and prefer the extra time in the main section of the city.

3. Re: Trip Report Acapulco/Princess (we drove) APRIL-2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco