We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2/21-3/1

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
614 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 2/21-3/1

I don't usually do trip reports, as I never feel like I am adding something "new" to the forum. But what the heck.

Aeromexico JFK-MEX-ACA. This was a mess. Booked a 3pm flight, as I wanted to try the 787, with a flight to Aca at 10pm. Figured to get to Fiesta Americana around midnight, shower and change and hit the costera.

But the best laid plans...NY was messed up with Fog. All flights diverted to DC. Since the morning - though nothing was mentioned at noon check-in. Long story short, got out around 7:30, missed connection, bags got left behind. Also luckily double checked when I got off plane in MEX that the JFK agents had rebooked me for 9am flight. They didn't, so got that done.

Took a 3 hour siesta at Hilton DF aeropuerto (pricey for 3 hours sleep, but really needed it, had been up since 4am), back to baggage, got my now arrived bags (well secured - locks unmolested, every zipper zip-tied, and under supervision of Aeromex staff), checked in for 9am flight, hung out in Amex lounge until flight.

Finally get to Fiesta Americana. Now here is my issue with FA. Had a friend staying with me, meeting me at hotel. The minute I knew I might have trouble, called FA to make sure they new someone else would be checking in, just in case. Explicitly said they were NOT to be charged, as FA had my card on file (have stayed several times before). Told no problem.

When I knew that might plans were definitively messed up, called FA again - same thing. Asked specifically if there was anything I needed to do to make sure that my friend could check in w/o issue or card. Assured all was well.

Arrived in DF, called FA to confirm all had gone smoothly. Was assured it had.

Imagine my surprise the next day when I found out they had not just run one of her cards "just in case", they had actually charged her for a nights stay. So not happy. Explained the situation, got the charges reversed back to her (they would not do it electronically, gave her cash), put down my card in its place. Signed an authorized form to permit service charges.

then was surprised when they demanded cash for the first two room service orders. Another call to reception. So there are definitely procedures that need to be adjusted.

So not a great start. But after that, all was well. I have been a multi-times a year visitor to Aca for the past 4-5 years now. And this was the busiest and most relaxed I have seen it in a while. Busy I have a feeling was because of the big bike rally the first weekend, and Tennis the second one. I don't care, nice to see people out and about and having fun.

Room at FA was very nice, but definitely seeing wear and tear. But good location, comfortable, and the service (after initial snafus) was very nice. Both the cleaning and room service staff remembered me, and was actually nice to talk and catch up a little.

Note to room service users. Never ever ever order the burger.

I only stayed at FA until Wednesday, and then moved over to Los Flamingos. I love Los Flamingos. Yea, it's best times were about 40 years ago. But it is still comfortable, the people who work there are like family, and laying out by the pool with a cold drink and view of the Pacific ranks about #1 in most relaxing things to do in my life.

Went to a "happy hour" my first night at LF. Youngest person by decades...heard some interesting stories..

I did not do much in the way of "Activities" - a lot of beach/pool time, wandering around (and have the sunburn to prove it.)

Ate at Barbaroja, El Cabrito, El Gaucho, Zibu, Tacos y Beer, El Zorritos. 100% Natural and Vips for breakfast, Pozole at Los Flamingos. A few other places that have names that escape me, or that I never got. Good experiences everywhere, and I have to say that Zibu is always a (pricey) standout.

Went out to Paradise, Barbaroja, Amor (used to be Classico), Mojito's, Barracuda Bar, Mamitas Bar and a few other places. Also stopped in at Samantha's and Chicas (where I got a t-shirt I can now wear no-where, haha.)

Trip home was smooth, blew through Immigration (thanks GOES program!) and then waited a bit for bag. And now I am cold...and dreaming of my next trip.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,360 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

Every person's perspective is something new, RF. Great report. Seems most difficulties now are in getting there. Once there, most people fall in love with Acapulco. Glad you did it right. Cheers.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,193 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

Nice report too bad about the flight. I think\hope this year was an aberation for horrible flights. I enjoy the stories at happy hour myself always interesting.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

We've done the Hilton DF aeropuerto layover thing, too. Really nice. And it sure beats sitting in the airport chairs for 6 hours!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
614 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

The hilton is a nice option to have, and there is another hotel attached to terminal 2 which is supposed to be very nice too. If I am ever in the same situation again, I will give that a shot.

For the time being, I will stick to the midnight flight. I have the best luck there. Puts me in DF for about 5 hours, but I kill time in the Amex lounge, which suits me fine.

And landing in Aca knowing I have almost a full day ahead of me is worth a lot!!!

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

Did the JFK MEX ACA this trip and it worked great Would love to get that late flight have to look at that next time

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
614 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

Yea, I love it. Leaves JFK anywhere between 12:15 and 1:15 depending on time of year. Go to sleep, wake up in MEX. Works for me!!!

7. Re: Trip Report 2/21-3/1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, March 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco