We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
231 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

When we first got here in late January, I called Carmenere for a reservation for two for Valentine Day and I was told that there were no reservations left for that day. Ok, I said to myself, partly because my Spanish isn't what it should be and the person I spoke to his English was as just as good as my Spanish. So I went to the Consierge at the FA and asked her to call and make me a reservation. She called and was told that the only reservation the had was for 10PM, but they would call her back and let her know if there was a cancellation. We never heard anything from them, but we found out from friends that were there that night at 7PM that there were empty tables.

Still determined to enjoyand have a good meal there, and knowing Acapulco wasn't that busy, we went there Friday night, with no reservations.

We walked in and asked for a table for two, even though there was a sign on the front door that said "RESERVATIONS ONLY".

When someone finally noticed we were standing there, we asked for a table and we did not have a reservation. It was a little hard for them to say anything because a table for two was open right next to where we were standing.

Man, the gentleman who sat us took hell from some Jackass in a fake fedora, tan hat (I guess this is the man who was in charge)

Seeing this I looked around and saw several empty tables and could not figure out what his problem was.

The food was adequate at best, real small portions at real high prices. The service was great, but did not make up for the shortcomings of the food.

Lastly, people waiting outside, and turned away with open tables!

Next time I will not waste my time and go to La Forza Italia for for real good food and service!

Mentioned in this post
Carmenere
Carmenere
393 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Acapulco
Acapulco
Guerrero, Mexico
Origen
$$$$, Bar, International, Seafood
Restaurante La Concha Acapulco
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Mexican, Latin
La Finca Acapulco
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Latin, Seafood
1. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, February 22, 2014
Edited: 9:35 am, February 22, 2014
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

Thanks for that JC at the very least poor customer service. I liked my past dining there but surely won't waste my time this time around.

Agree on forza JC always good and friendly.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

Mike , you should also be careful of who comes from Chicago or New York.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
MIAMI
Level Contributor
815 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

I was there last night. Place was packed. The man in the fedora is the owner; he was making sure tables were available in order to honor reservations. As many of us know, things sometimes run late in Aca. When I left about 1030, people were arriving for the 2nd seating. We all enjoyed our dinners; escargots, shrimp Dijon, prime rib, salmon, garlic shrimp. Portions were large enough that no one ordered dessert. My feeling is, if there is a sign saying "reservations only" ..why would you want to bother? And then complain about the fact that you were squeezed in?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

Thanks for the report JC, was there a couple of years ago and had no complaints. Seems that sometimes, after a place gets popular, they may tend to slide in certain areas. For example, I had a negative experience at Su Casa a few years ago and will never be back, while there are others who claim to love the place.

Mentioned in this post
Su Casa
Su Casa
319 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico
Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

I agree! I think that there are places we all love to hate!! Some just love certain places and others wouldn't walk in the door. It's personal preference and possible bad experiences!

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

I have to say that we ate there once and and the food was insipid and tasteless, needless to say we will never go back.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

I am assuming in New York there are restaurants that are by 'reservation only' where you can just show up?

Mentioned in this post
Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

I enjoyed a couple dinners there a while ago, at the time I thought it was under priced for the quality meals we had. I know he has gained a strong following amongst locals and if I were in his situation I'd be concerned about over booking too.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carmenere, Don't Bother, Go somewhere Else!

Good point ACAallday. Empty tables on a Friday doesn't mean they aren't reserved.