We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Follow Up to Cruise Visit

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Maryland
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
Follow Up to Cruise Visit

A while back I popped on the forum to reply to a thread entitled "why don't they come to Acapulco." My contribution was scant - only to say that I was coming on a cruise stop. I wanted to follow up because I received encouragement for my visit by the posters on this board. So here is what I have to say about coming to Acapulco. I really enjoyed it and I am glad I went. My family and I toured with Rudy F. (Tours by Van) for the day. We saw the sights like the Chapel of Peace and the House of the Winds mosaic. We took in the vistas, views and churches. But, the true highlight for us was a visit to the local market where we wandered for quite a while. We looked at the wonderful produce, sampled some juices and fruits and gazed at chickens hanging in the heat that we would not be brave enough to buy, but might make good ornaments for a dead chicken tree. We even drank cocoa water (no we did not get sick and we were not afraid to drink it). Rudy our guide made our time there amazing. We visited the witchcraft stalls and learned that "black chicken" soap will cleanse away evil spirits. I got some, my husband is still around - it doesn't work. The sheer number of icons of the white faced girl was overwhelming. She clearly has a following if supply is any indication of demand. Our time in the market was fun, in large part, because Rudy stopped and engaged with the sellers and we got the benefit of those interactions and learning about how the locals shop. The flowers were amazing and fresh. The man who ran the pepper stall was wanted to show us his peppers (not because he wanted us to buy them, he knew we would not because of our day visit), but because he was proud of them and wanted us to know they were of very good quality (which they were as was so much of the great produce - I would love to have such fresh food options here at home). Rudy showed us how, if some of the folks did not have as much money, they could go to other produce stalls to get older produce - perfectly good, just not as pretty. Kind of like what has happened to me in the two plus decades that have elapsed since my 20th birthday! It really was a wonderful time and I could have spent all day roaming that market.

Of course, Acapulco has its problems. They are well documented and it would be less than honest not to acknowledge that, but as a tourist on that day we had no sense of those problems. As a tourist, It is hard to say that any place is perfectly safe because such information is really only a matter of perception anyway. I also would not say Acapulco is not safe. It seems to me that it is neither. Acapulco, like most other places in the world provides its own set of factors of which to be aware. Would I return - yes - without hesitation. I truly hope Acapulco rises again and "they do come." It deserves as much.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,282 posts
256 reviews
1. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

Glad you had a good time the Market is certainly to be experienced. I only after so many years coming made my 1st visit about 3 winters ago. We got lost a lot lol!!

The city grows on you do return!!

MIAMI
Level Contributor
822 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

What a wonderful posting; you got the essence of why we who often post on this forum return to and love Acapulco....it is the people!!!! 31 years for me; and most years, multiple visits!

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

I loved your rendition of Acapulco, especially the "Black Chicken Soup" story! It does have charm and it's a beautiful city. The people are more welcoming than any other location I have visited. That could be why we keep going back. Guaranteed perfect weather and fun!

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

Thanks for getting back to us. The little "white face girl" you see is actually the logo for a production of "Les Miserables", which really has a special meaning in Acapulco. To be hounded through life for stealing a crust of bread (like Jean Val Jean was) resonated with the people. Viva Acapulco.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

All of it organic produce to boot, most growers here don't even have the capital to use pest/herbicides. I know some who is friends with a large agricultural grower who sells produce to the US and Mexico. He said it was night and day. Growing for the US market requires treatment of the soil, a heavy cocktail of chemicals and even then if something is the slightest bit wrong with an order it is refused and often thrown away. When growing for the Mexican market they basically throw a seed in the soil and let it grow. I love that I have a farmers market everyday.

IMO anyone who pays attention will start noticing a drastic reduction in crime rates across the board over the next 2-3 years. Not that crime rates on the Coastera were ever more than practically non-existent. Though again IMO a majority of the up and coming generations will opt for destination that have been made rather than discovered.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

Great post Lrob, thank you, we really need it.

7. Re: Follow Up to Cruise Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 18, 2015