We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Work in Acapulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Topic
Work in Acapulco

I have a friend that has traveled to Aca many times over the last few years. However, this time she is hoping to leave the last week in December, before the new year and stay for a longer period of time (3-6 months). She is 26 female bilingual American and is desperately trying to find out some answers about working, work visas, etc. In Aca or even Mexico in general. She has run into nothing but roadblocks when speaking to the consulate...and this is something she has wanted to do for years. She has been getting mixed messages about if she has to get the visa in the US or if it can be done in Mexico, and where she needs to go to obtain it.

We will be flying down to Aca the first week in January, spending a week with her and I'm so excited to see the beauty she describes as Acapulco! If you have ANY information or contacts it would be greatly appreciated!! I see many posts from people on these forums that seem so knowledgeable about Mexico and Acapulco! Thanks everyone!!

Forest Lake, MN
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Work in Acapulco

Snork,

My cousin is a writer he could help us out. :)

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Work in Acapulco

It was always a full time job for me, Just being me in Acapulco

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Work in Acapulco

Hank, you need an intern. Someone to record your every insight... sworn to secrecy, of course.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Work in Acapulco

The work prospects in Aca would be about the same for a foreigner there as they are for a foreigner north of the border. Crap work with little pay, unless you work for a company from your home country that has a branch there.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Work in Acapulco

Right on LACALLIE. In Toronto there are trained medical doctors driving cabs because they can't work in Ontario. Of course everyone in Acapulco is a doctor or a lawyer, so that wouldn't help, either. Jobs are treasured and handed down to family members. A post a couple of years ago wondered why tourists see the same aging faces doing the same jobs every year. Doh! If you get a job you keep it for life.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Work in Acapulco

Something one has to take into account is that if they ask a Mexican friend about getting work, yes will most likely be the answer; weather or not that friend can actually back it up. It's part of the culture in Southern Mexico to be agreeable, it's caused more than one problem.

Also there are no social assistance programs(i.e. welfare, unemployment) in Mexico. If elderly are lucky they worked a job that supplies them with a very small pension. Many elderly are 100% dependent upon their family for food and shelter. Picture it from their sandals. The only reason there is illegal immigration the other way around are because of such social assistance programs.

Having said if one can find the right set up(many times amongst the ex-pat community) small jobs can be found. I have a friend who found work further south building and then managing a bar for a retired couple. Though it was a real out of the way place and there aren't as many toes to step on. He lived in a tent for a few months.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
11 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Work in Acapulco

Thank you for all the information!! We greatly appreciate it!

Tomball, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
28. Re: Work in Acapulco

Sorry i just need a question to be answer. My parents moved to Acapulco not to long ago and if been thinking of working there. Any job if possible but reading this site made me pluzzed. Currently im a high school student and will graduate in the next two years. Hopeing to look in a carrer based on something i can do in Acapulco but if not just work a legal job there. If anyone can help me i will be really thankful.

-Chaparra

29. Re: Work in Acapulco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco