We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone in Acapulco?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone in Acapulco?

Do you recommend bringing a mobile phone from the U.S. (with reasonably priced data plan) to Acapulco? My carrier in the U.S. (Verizon) offers a $25 (for 100 MB) data plan for Mexico. I was wondering if Google Maps and other travel-related apps might be helpful in finding my way around Acapulco and learning where to visit and the best places to eat. This is my first visit to Acapulco. I would also be OK with the idea of shutting off the smartphone for a week and just muddling around on my own. I just wanted to get a sense of whether I should purchase the data plan or not.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

If you need to call the US, and family back home want to speak with you Verizon has a plan that includes Mexico in your home calling area minutes. You could change your plan and change back when you return. There's lots of Wi

Fi in Aca, depending upon where you are staying, most hotels offer some kind of deal, and there is always Starbucks. 100 mb gets used up pretty fast when searching for stuff.

Edited: 12:01 am, November 03, 2013
Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

Seconded, 100mb would be used up in a half day but using your phone as a wifi can work good. Though, there are some connection issues with certain places/phones/etc... There are internet cafes in every part of town that will rent use of a computer for $10mxn($0.80usd) per hour. You can search out and print info. The keyboards are a slightly different format but not tough to figure out.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

I agree with all of the above. I use my phone from home and unless its an emergency I'm really not dialing out more then 1-2 times.

I would make sure to turn off data when roaming on your device just in case your out and like many others an Aplication opens on your device by accident before you know it all your package is used up.

I use wifi about 95% of the time at my hotel and the starbucks that is adjacent to my hotel. I get a modest 30-40 dollar bump in the bill the following month.

Level Contributor
1,625 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

We buy the verizon plan so we have backup then use wireless while in aca

If you get more familar with trip advisor there are numerous lists for hotels , dining etc that are really helpful and can ease your mind on the trip. Most places reviewd by a pretty steady cast of folks who travel here often or live here. Enjoy

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

If you turn off data roam and put the phone in airplane mode you can use a GPS app like "Maps With Me" for navigating around. If you want to make phone calls or text from wifi sites there are apps for that too. I simply use e-mail at wifi sites.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

I prefer your idea of turning it off, completely. You will have a hard time getting lost in Acapulco. Just head for the ocean and you'll find the costera. If you are constantly using travel apps, you'll miss what's right in front of you. You're travelling in real time. Use you eyes, your nose and your ears. You'll have much better memories. Save the device for taking pictures of the experiences you encounter.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

Best advice yet Snork!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
482 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

I put my phone in Airplane mode the minute I get on the flight to mexico and don take it out till I land back in the USA that way I have camera and music while I am in Mexico. no need to shut off data roaming it will not do that while in airplane mode best of all no one can call me

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

Atlanta Paul, there are so many people on here that will give you ideas what to do where to go and what to see and search this Trip Advisors page for more ideas.

My best suggestion is to ask other people you meet about where is good to go and the restaurants to eat at.

Just go with the flow and enjoy your time here is a good idea too!! It usually just happens !!

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phone in Acapulco?

what do you like to do and what type foods do you like ..........to start in with???