We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Miscellaneous Trip Notes …

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A Few Miscellaneous Trip Notes …

… based on our own experiences and observations, of course; starting with a review of our day at 'Puerto Marques'.

One morning during the first week of our stay, we decided to hit up Puerto Marques to check out 'Blue Water' — a new place which Truck (and others) had recommended. It was around 10 or 11 when I hailed a VW-cab in front of our hotel and inquired about a ride to PM. He asked for 150 pesos; I offered him 100 (which I felt was a fair amount); and he signaled for us to hop in. There was little traffic and I think we were there in about 20 minutes, but we were both busy taking in the sights and scenery along the way — while exchanging small talk with the driver. We'd been to PM a few times in the past — and we knew what to expect; but in January, it seemed to me that many of the small beachfront eateries were starving for business. As the cab hooked a left onto PM's main beach road, someone from almost every restaurant jumped out into the street (several with menus in hand) to try to entice us to visit with them. Our driver politely waved off one after another and slowly continued on until we reached Blue Water, about a quarter-mile or so down the road. I paid the fare, thanked the cabbie, and walked into what's probably the cleanest eatery on Playa Puerto Marques.

We liked that the staff, there, was professional but laid back — very attentive but not bothersome. A man by the name of Señor Andres (who, as it turns out, is the manager/maître-d') greeted us with a warm smile, and I indicated that we'd come to spend the day — having heard good things about Blue Water from our interenet friends. That seemed to make him happy, and he invited us to plant ourselves 'wherever you like'. We were the only ones there at the time; and once Val spotted the lounge-chairs on the upper deck, I knew that that's where we'd relax for most of the day.

I'd have to say that, for Puerto Marques, this place is exceptional; and according to Señor Andres, they've been open for just over a year. In addition to the sundeck (which overlooks the bay and has about a half-dozen loungers), they have a sizable covered open-air dining area, a full bar, an open-view streetside kitchen, and a gas-fired beehive-shaped pizza oven (which they seem to be quite proud of). There's a smallish sunken fresh-water pool (probably about 3' deep) between the dining-area and the sundeck, which (IMO) is best-suited for kids — though it's convenient for anyone who just wants to hop in and cool off. The pool, btw, was very clean; but it doesn't get much sun, which keeps the water a bit cool. The baños are, without a doubt, the cleanest we've ever seen at Puerto Marques — nicely tiled and off to the side (behind the bar area), but 'as one might expect', NO toilet seats (LOL). ¡Viva Acapulco! Beach access is via a masonry stairway next to the bar. At the top of the stairs, tethered to a long piece of driftwood, is Blue Water's mascot — a big ol' iguana, who basks in the hot sun and minds his own business, but gets pretty animated when they bring him a bowl of shredded lettuce; and half-way down the stairs is a wall-mounted showerhead, to rinse off the sand after spending time on the beach. Beach-level, in a shaded area under the sundeck, there are some plastic tables and chairs in the sand — and the water's edge is only a few yards away.

We took the iguana's advice; and after lathering up with some sunscreen, we basked in the sun for awhile — with a cold drink within easy reach. It was H-O-T! Very hot! And BW's waitstaff was very attentive when it came to keeping us hydrated. Their tropical drinks (IMO) were on the pricey side 'for Puerto Marques' ($75MXN), but no more costly than places like Vayma or Alejo. Cervezas were more reasonably priced; so I alternated between frozen margaritas, piña coladas, and cold Negra Modelos, while Val stuck with refrescas and piña coladas 'naturel'. By early afternoon, a family of vacationing Mexicanos had arrived — to do the same as us, enjoy Blue Water's hospitality for the day; and after soaking up some more rays, we were ready for a swim in the bay. Temp-wise, the water was perfect. It was clean and relatively calm; and the sandy bottom is easy on the feet. We were in and out of the bay all afternoon. At one point, after watching some teens with inner-tubes, Val asked me to see if I could get one for her. I simply motioned my request to a guy on the beach who'd walk down to a nearby vendor and pick one up. Total cost: 30 pesos, 'for as long as you like, Señor." We had fun.

By mid-afternoon, growing hungry, we sat at a table in the dining-area, scanned the menu, and ordered some light fare — fish tacos for me, and some pico de gallo with totopos for Val. Very good, very fresh, and fairly priced. We had decided, by then, that we wouldn't have a big dinner there; and neither of us was in the mood for pizza. They do have a rather extensive menu (primarily seafood) and a variety of pizzas; but the dinners (IMO) aren't cheap. That's not to say that we wouldn't stay for dinner on another visit, but there were still other restaurants in the city which we wanted to get to.

After lunch, back on the sundeck, I decided I'd take a walk around to see if I could find a public internet; and Señor Andres gladly pointed me toward a small hotel just a stone's throw up the street. About 10 pesos for an hour, he said; but I was just looking to use it for a few minutes (to check out the TA forum). After a few steps, I heard him calling me back. "Señor, you can use the internet right here!". There was a teenager (a son of one of the employees, I believe) who was playing around on his laptop; and Andres, I guess, had asked him if a customer could use it for little while. I hesitated at first (not wanting to impose on the kid), but he nodded his approval; and Andres followed up with "You see, Señor — no problema. We have everything here at Blue Water. Whatever our customers need.". The offer was genuine, and I couldn't say 'no'. It was an impressive gesture on their part. They plugged it in, brought me a chair, I surfed for about 10 minutes — and left 10 pesos on the mouse-pad when I was done. How can anyone 'not' love Acapulco — and its people? Much as I love the U.S. of A., I'm not so sure I'd get that kind of treatment while vacationing here at home.

We wrapped up the day by 6:00ish, after more sunning and more swimming in the bay — waterlogged (LOL), but very rested and quite content. It had been worth the ride, for sure. I think our tab came to about 650 pesos +/- (if I'm remembering right), and we left a well-deserved tip. I thought we'd catch one of those rickety ol' buses back to town (as we've done in the past), but Andres told me that they rarely service PM anymore — and he offered to hail a 'colectivo' cab, which would get us back to the boulevard (at the PM turn-off). No problem. Two minutes and we were on our way; the cost was 10 pesos apiece. Got off at the main road, crossed the street, and hopped an a/c bus headed back to town. It was effortless.

What a great day! We really would have liked to get there again, but didn't. As many, here, know — Puerto Marques has its own character and flavor. Every part of the city is different. It doesn't compare to PDLC, and some don't like it at all; but as Andres said to me, they're doing their best to make some noticeable changes at PM — to clean things up and make it a bit more attractive, with Blue Water leading the way. We wish them every success.

BTW: Blue Water is doing some remodeling. They were in the process (when we were there) of finishing off an upper-floor, the roof-top area above the restaurant — where they intend to have additional dining and perhaps some live entertainment. Andres didn't mention any 'projected completion date', but I'm sure it'll get finished 'eventually'. ;o)

Thanks for the recommendation, Charlie. Who found this place, anyway

More to follow, when I get the chance.

Edited: 2:33 pm, February 10, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
453 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: A Few Miscellaneous Trip Notes …

I also try to go to a couple of new places per trip but you also want to visit the ones that you are comfortable with and lets not forget that we only have 2 weeks to accomplish the feat.

22. Re: A Few Miscellaneous Trip Notes …

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco