We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortuga

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Tortuga

We went there midweek in mid november when e were there. Not up to normal. Hoping someone can report that it was a fluke and all is well there been a standard for a long time can i get an update please?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,189 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Tortuga

I was never sure 'what to believe' re their coco ice cream; but yes, it's very good for some reason. Could it be Tepoznieves ice cream?

Was also told, at some point, that Chava's niece used to make it (after her mother passed). Who knows ...

On the same topic (coco ice cream) — we went for a sunset at the Sinfo one night, and there was a guy scooping ice cream out of metal cart. Four or five different flavors, if I'm remembering right. Single cones = 10 pesos (about 75¢). Our cab driver actually parked his VW and went for a cone; and within minutes there were plenty of Mexicanos surrounding the little cart, buying ice cream (always a good sign). We decided to try some — lime for me, coconut for Val, then a coconut for me. It was very good — and very creamy.

Truck — La Tortuga was our choice for dinner, twice. I also walked over for one of their 'Cubana' tortas one day (which I've always liked); and then we stopped there again the night before heading home — just for drinks and conversation and to say our goodbyes. They're all very welcoming and hospitable — and always make us feel like we're right at home. Incidentally, their daytime menu includes 'comida corrida' style fare at reasonable cost (the equivalent of about $6 or $7 U.S., I think).

Edited: 3:50 pm, January 29, 2013
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tortuga

Those Cubanos make great plane food too!! All this talk of the coconut ice cream I think that 1st Sat I have to stop there!!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
491 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tortuga

Dined this evening and the food and service were good. No coconut ice cream and they do not know when they will have any!

Level Contributor
1,554 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tortuga

We went back Thurs. nite and food was back to better times. No coco cream but food and staff better by far!

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tortuga

Coconut ice cream is back and it was so good. I saluted each one of you who has left with each bite.

Edited: 10:47 pm, February 27, 2013
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Tortuga

Be back in late april to check it out!

Oregon
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Tortuga

We ate there 3 times, wish we could be back just for the ice cream, they didn't have it and understood they didn't believe they'd be getting any, hope they have it next Feb!

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Tortuga

Tortuga looks very busy tonight. Many vehicles parked out front, the whole street is full! This is a holiday weekend.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Tortuga

Tortuga looks packed tonight. Not many cars on the street like last night but a good many pedistrians going in and I can see some of the tables from our balcony and they are full. Good to see them doing a good business as they have served us well for many good years.

30. Re: Tortuga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 20, 2014