We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit to Acapulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington DC
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visit to Acapulco

mom, dad and 2 teens visiting in Jan and staying at the Mayan for 4 nights. Looking for suggestions on things to do. Not interested in eating or drinking. I am thinking of doing a 1/2 day tour with one of the recommended drivers listed. What else should we look at doing that is not included? An example might be the harbor tour to the Isla de la Roqueta etc. We like shopping(local) and beaches. It looks like from the Mayan we have to rely on taxis?

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

Yes, you are reliant on taxis because there is nothing walkable from the Mayan. Since they have a captive market they tend to be expensive so hiring a driver might be more economical and useful.

Personally I would skip the Roqueta tour.' It will take you an hour to drive there another 45 minutes to arrange a boat and get over to the islande (plus the same back of course) and the facilities the other side are rather shabby to say the least. A better use of your short time might be to arrange a trip to Pie de la Cuesta where you can enjoy the ocean and beautiful beach with horse riding and ATV options as well as water skiing the other side of the road on the lagoon. (Or even take a boat trip on the lagoon.) If you hire a driver for this trip they can give you a brief tour of the city on the way (stopping at the scenic spots for photos, visiting the chapel of peace on the hill, etc.). That would make a nice full day trip.

Near the Mayan (5 minutes drive) is La Isla mall for upscale shopping. "Local" shopping can be found at various flea markets along the main bay.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

I agree with Steve Pie de la cuesta a nice option and a lot of fun. Wave runners 350 peso for 30 minutes or Lagoon tour. Very scenic and some terrific little canals they take you through. A good car ride from the Mayan though.

If you like the Idea of a Lagoon tour Tres Palos in Barra Vieja is equally nice and a little closer to the Mayan although I like PDLC better overall.

Many of the restaurants have pools so if you do stop off for a bite be sure to have your bathing suits.

Edited: 11:16 am, December 25, 2012
NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

Agree with what was said above regarding PDLC. It's a long drive so leave early and stay through sunset. Enjoy the lagoon early on and spend the rest of the time on the beach for sunset. Definitely worth waterskiing. Every time I go to PDLC, it's usually a highlight. On the way back, catch the evening cliff diver's show.

.I don't recall ATV's in PDLC beach area, however on the beach by the Mayan, plenty of ATV's to be rented. There are a lot of horses on the beach in PDLC.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

If you don't want to travel out to PDLC--although I can't imagine a trip to ACA without spending a day at PDLC--you can check out Puerto Marquese. A new and favorite spot of mine is Bluewater Restaurant right on the bay. Here is their link in Spanish. Of course, you can do both.

http://bluewateracapulco.com/comida.html

A morning or afternoon at La Cabana de Caleta on Caleta Beach is another great spot and the cliff divers at La Quebrada is a not to be missed stop. As Stevemex suggested, hiiring a private driver for a city tour is a great idea.

The link for La Cabana

http://www.lacabanadecaleta.com/

Enjoy your stay in ACA.

Edited: 1:28 pm, December 25, 2012
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,585 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

The Acarey boat cruise is another fun time. Open bar, live music and a three hour tour of the bay. The boat leaves from in front of the Zocalo.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

There is a bypass highway to PDLC from the Myan. You have to start on the autopista(89 peso toll) and then catch 200 towards Mexico City. At km 24(?) there is a jct. that goes behind Acapulco on the way to Zihuatanejo. It takes about 30 minutes most any time of the day, any good cabby should know about it.

Bedford, Michigan
Level Contributor
452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

Ditto on PDLC.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

Ditto the Acarey cruise and also the glorious views from the Chapel of Peace. Besides PDLC, there's also Las Flamingoes for the ocean views and margaritas during a sunset. And the zocolo, the Fort, the market, the famous mosaics, there is so much to see and do in Acapulco. Enjoy!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

Ok thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking that we will do the city tour in the morning and then after lunch the driver can take us to PDLC for the afternoon. How much should we expect to pay for the driver for the day?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visit to Acapulco

It is recommended to email the drivers to ask for rates for your desired itinerary. Most of us on the forum know Rudy of tourbyvan as well as Sebastian Hernandez and recommend both. tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g150787-Activiti… For email addresses, click on the "private transportation" option in the box on the upper right hand side of this page. My opinion is that your itinerary sounds like a winner.