We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lost resorts

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Branch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
lost resorts

I bet someone here can answer a question I've had for 26 years. Here goes...

Stayed at hyatt regency on our honeymoon in nov. 1986. Loved it.

Next door, to the north they were tearing down a stylish old resort with a spanish/moorish look to it. It appeared to have been very nice at one point, with pools and elaborate tile work

. Can anyone tell me the name or even post a pic?

Thanks

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
944 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lost resorts

I think maybe you could be referring to Armando's Beach Club

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
124 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lost resorts

dturcott - I do believe that djpoco is correct. It was Armando's Taj Mahal. It was a beautiful property in it's day. We went there occasionally. Even experienced an earthquake there. Our lounge chairs were dancing on the concrete.

In front of the Taj Mahal was Armando's "Le Club" which was a disco. Disco Sally was a regular at the Club at age 85.

North Branch...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lost resorts

thanks to both. Not many images online but I'm sure that's it.

I really want to go back to Acapulco, some people say its over the hill.

What are people who actually spend time there saying?

Fairly safe? Good service? Reasonable prices?

Thanks

MIAMI
Level Contributor
764 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lost resorts

The answer to all of your questions is "yes". However, the Acapulco of the 80's is not the Acapulco of today; when there were long lines to get into restaurants and clubs every day of the week (except some closed on Tuesday!). Most of the most elegant restaurants have moved up the hill to the Las Brisas area; and area by the airport has built up with condos, shopping centers, an arena, etc.

But!!!! the view, oh, the view is still breathtaking; the people are warn and friendly and the weather cannot be beat.

The Hyatt is now the Grand and has been remodeled recently.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lost resorts

I have visited the City by the Bay since 1978 and have watched it mature. It is not what I was at that time but it is still a wonderful place to pass the winter. The people are friendly, the prices are right, the food is great and I have no fear for my safety.

My advice is come on town and see for yourself!

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lost resorts

Ata Gal Patti,

come on down and test the waters?

Has Need Made the report yet???

Brooklyn Park...
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lost resorts

Acapulco definately has some wear and tear, but I think that is part of it's charm. Since I first went there in the early nineties some things look a lot more worn, but others are much improved. I have always been pleased with the service, and have never felt un-safe. Prices are very reasonable, but it's really a matter of choice. You can really live on the cheap, or you can live very fancy down there. If you go, you won't be disappointed with the weather, the food choices, and the stunning scenery.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lost resorts

Acapulco is a place like no other, she is pleasing to the eye and the palate, a great combination.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations