We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodies in Acapulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Foodies in Acapulco

I am traveling with my Chef husband in October and need some suggestions as where to eat. We do NOT want the typical tourist venues and don't mind if the food comes from a boat, street vendor stall, local restaurant, or market.

In Acapulco in the past I have enjoyed the classics like: Ceviche, Panuchos, Tacos al Pastor, Tacos de Cohinita Pibil, Quesadillas de Cazon, Tacos de Cochinitas, Echiladas las Crusitas, Pozole, Pescado con achiote in Barra Vieja... but it has been a few years since I have been there and I have no clue where to get all these food items or what is yummy now.

Many online suggestions are to very touristy (like hotel restaurants) or fusion places (like asian) and I am just looking for basic yummy local stuff

Can you give insight as to your favorite local spot or favorite dish and maybe a general location of where it is (an address would be amazing but know not all have exact spots) I will travel all over the city in the search for a good dish!

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

Cabana de Caleta for an afternoon. The anglisized menu says Meat and Fish. It's actually a bacon wrapped Filet with garlic shrimp. Pie de la Cuesta (Tres Marias) for a day: Pesca al Talia. Walk the costera and follow the smells. Tacos al pastor anywhere. Cheers and have fun. Ricardos Tortas by the Zocalo is pretty authentic Mexican sandwiches.

Edited: 4:33 pm, October 03, 2012
Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

My advice to you would be to walk along Ave. Niños Heroes just north of Cuahutemoc Ave. and you will find all the foods you mentioned. Also, right after Papagayo park there is a Soriana supermarket. Go to the corner just past the market and make a right turn and then go two blocks up and you will find approximately six taco stands on the sidewalk all selling a variety of tacos. Happy eating!!

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

Some great suggestions so far both of those by Snork I recommend highly and those by Livinaca I hope to try a few of those myself in Feb!!

Any cab driver can get you to Tres Marias in PDLC and La Cabana is in Caleta at about the end of the bus route in the traditional section of town. Both have very good Ceviche BTW.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

I meant to edit to add I like the Mole dish at El Cabrito which is on the costera in the costa azul section of town and also the chili relenos and carne enchiladas at La Tortuga which is a short walk from the hotel Fiesta americana. Any cabby can direct you to either.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

Truck, add Live's suggestion to the list. Taco stands...mmmmm

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

https://maps.google.com/maps…

This link should take you a street view of 17 Manuel Acuña, Cecina de Yecapixtla. Fresh hand made tortillas to complement their authentic menu. Their guacamole is awesome. They're usually pretty crowded during lunch. I'm pretty sure their hours are 11 to 7(?). 50 pesos will fill you up.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

He's hadn't moved when the google car went by in 09' but right below Ruben's Hamburgers is a small restaurant called Mich's. Awesome seafood tacos and tostadas with some creative salsa options. If your in that part of town not a bad option.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

Nacho also hadn't moved in when the google car went by but the vacant building on the corner is now La Concha. Great seafood everything at great prices. The best deal I found on shrimp by the kilo available in some great sauces. Some of the best ceviche I've had, also good fish tacos. He has a strong local following Open from 1-7 Friday-Wednesday.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
702 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

Not Mexican but either of the restaurants seen in this street view are good. Sushi2go has a few locations around town, this being their first.(?) Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are 2 for 1 rolls. I'm a regular on 2 for 1 days and haven't had a complaint yet. I only been to the Chinese place next door a couple times but again I can't complain. Both offer hearty portions at reasonable prices.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foodies in Acapulco

Good options Allday I've become more into the smaller family type places over the years and would love to check out something new.