We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I Miss About Acapulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What I Miss About Acapulco

I miss Die Bratwurst and Hilde's cooking and entertainment, which includes her having a glass of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

I miss Alfonso at Dino's or Los Tortas, etc. The food was always good, the prices right and the conversation was excellent.

I also miss Jovito and his establishment. He offered good Mexican cooking and especially the strawberries with chocolate and cream sauce. He had a lot to say but everyting had to be taken with a grain of salt.

I really miss the Spring Breakers. They brought youth and hope to the city. They might be loud, they might drink too much but then we all were once young. They are the future and I enjoy seeing them. Furthermore the Bungie Jump needs their revenue.

There has not been a good jazz venue in Acapulco since the club at Brismar Suites closed years ago.

The closing of Bonita's/Margarita's jewelry store. Augustine was a fixture in the downtown area since I first came to Acapulco and his departure was a shock.

The flag at Papagayo Beach. What happened?

No cruise ships, which led to many long time locations in the port area departing. Shame on the port owners for raising the docking fees.

I really miss La Huerta, Canta Mar Hotel, and Los Americos Suites, but then I am showing my age.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

I forgot to include visiting Villa Vera and having a late lunch and relaxing by the pool. I can recall first experiencing that experience in 1979.

Hopefully this location is on Caqrlos Slim's short list!

MIAMI
Level Contributor
764 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

I miss the piano bars and the people you would meet; especially at Pepe's (no matter which location; but the Costera was always my favorite).

And the restaurants...omg...Miramar; Normandie; Hard Times; Djoint; Mimmi's; of course, Dino's...etc etc etc.

Now, I am sad.

Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

Blackbeard's and the lobby bar at Fiesta Americana plus Das Deutsch Haus in the Zocolo, Albert was entertaining.

Edited: 4:50 pm, April 04, 2012
Browerville...
Level Contributor
537 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

I forgot about sitting at Bar Caballero in the Zocolo drinking a beer, watching the people walk by and reading the News of Mexico.

Visiting La Huerta every evening after dinner, watching the ladies parade and dancing to the early hours of the morning.

In 1986 I recall the salvage ship from the U.S. navy visited Aca immediately after the Challenger tragedy and drank daily at Bar Caballero.. It's sister ship recovered the remains of our heroes but the sailors in Aca were great.

Good memories.

Edited: 5:07 pm, April 04, 2012
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

You can relax, a new flag is now in place. Saw it on Mar 30th.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

I am not sure that I miss the Spring Breakers as they could be obnoxious.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

Not to mention, you had to watch where you walked........

8. Re: What I Miss About Acapulco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco