We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
453 reviews
Save Topic
I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

So glad it seems all is okay after the quake near Acapulco .

I am headed back there in May....it has become hubbies favorite place for now anyway!!!

So wondering a few things, ya all know I am gonna drive you crazy with ???'s so be informed....

How is the climate? Not weather? Police, I saw the post on traffic cops...we plan to drive to resort then park and taxi or bus only anyway...so how is the safety in driving in daylight per say, we have to get there, last year we had no issues traveling....? Anything we should e aware of?? ( Oh yeah we are staying in Diamonte Zone Grand Mayan...)

Okay may as well tell me since has been crazy weather everywhere...other than the shake...how is weather? How shouId pack? Last year it was hot, not intolerable but hot, windy at times, I do not think I needed a sweater..I will bring one but think I will need it?

We did all the torus and stuff we wanted last time so this time I think just a relax and hang around..want to plan 2 special nights out to dine though as we did last year...( my parents are coming this year well hopefully, they were coming last year also and health stopped that), anyway, last year we went to Las Brisas and Su Casa, loved both and they were great suggestions.

So looking for suggestions for this year...want nice view of Bay since to us that is what Acapulco is about..really...do not want to repeat the other 2 restaurants though, unless in addition...we passed a few places along the way on the cliff there, any thoughts....Want to create memories with the 2 dining out nights..so good atmosphere, not necessarily elegant or expensive , just nice atmosphere, possibly nice view, good service, good food....varied menu is good..

Thanks I am sure I will have more questions as gets closer....cannot wait to hear from you all....with suggestions...

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

I can't believe it has been a full year and your planning the return already!!

As far as the climate goes leaps and bounds better and a more relaxed feeling traveling within the city. As compared to last year you would be hard pressed not to notice the difference at least when comparing February which is when i always visit the city.

As far as the outskirts coming in I am sure many others can give you some solid info on that.

In regards to dining and although I did not visit this restaurant this past trip carmenere IMO is as much a can't miss place as any. It is not for the incredible view because there is none as it is located in a strip mall in the costa azul area. The food is terrific and so is the service which make up for a lack a view although the decor is very nice within the restaurant.

You will probably get Zibu as one of those can't miss places with a view but i cannot comment as I have not been there. Very pricey though $$$$$.

Since you are in that area so it will be a short ride La Casa de la Pasta was very good. They make their own pasta there and it is extremely good both my wife and daughter loved it. No view or ambience at all but the owner is very personable and explains his different flavored pastas in detail. Seeing from other reviews sometimes the wait can be long but we had no issue. It is worth the visit and very close to the GM.

As far as bayview goes most get theres from the balcony of their hotel so this is out for you :(

I would actually recommend visiting Paradise and the lower level for a nice view of the bay. They have live music at times and good drink selections and excellent ambience IMO to enjoy the goin on around the bay.

Edited: 8:06 am, March 24, 2012
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Pam, I'm also recommending La Casa de la Pasta. I loved it and ditto on Carmenere.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Believe it or not, Barbarja has greas steaks, seafood. Have a sunset dinner overlooking the bay. You won't be disappointed.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

May is a great time to be there, flawless weather and very quiet tourist-wise esp. during the week. Was there in May a few years ago and if the AL would offer a decent route/fare, would do it again this year too.

Not likely that you'll need a sweater but it's always good to have one along just in case...

Edited: 11:32 am, March 24, 2012
Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Miamora

Your right about Barbaroja for a decent steak and potato. And a nice view as well.

MIAMI
Level Contributor
770 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Zibu is the place to go for view and Thai-Mexican food. Their soups are amazing. I would have cocktails at Baikal for the view and the "show".

Both are pretty expensive.

Su Casa has the best view of all though; and you can never go wrong! Especially if your parents have not been there.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Yes I cannot believe it either, in May a whole year has passed and I have not even finished naming my last year's Acapulco pics..my bad...

Hubby said he wanted to different restaurants, I would just go to the 2 we knew were good. Las Brisas restaurant was lovely....and pricey yes...

Su Casa was great, nice view, the drinks were great, food average service good. Probably will take my parents there...maybe to both will see. The food onsite at Grand Mayan was actually very good and no more pricey than off resort which I found interesting.....

We passed many restaurants going back from I think Las Brisas to Grand Mayan on opposite side, hubby wonders if any of them are any good, of course we do not remember names..duh...

Zibu looks wonderful but not sure what Thai-Mexican fusion is? I know Mexican....

The Italian place sounds good, I am not that fond of Italian but my parents and hubby are.

Keep the ideas coming please...

Oh a local can you give me update on weather? Have you had typical Jan Feb March weather as in my part of Mexico and like PV it has been very chilly , totally atypical....

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,495 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Mid February for two weeks we had mostly overcast or partly cloudy days. Very unusual at that time of year. I heard it cleared up after we left. The weather was warm but not as hot as it usually is and the water temperature was in the low to mids 80s. May is usually hot.

Barbarroja has a great view but personally I think they are way overpriced for what you get. I would rather spend the money at Carmenere.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,866 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Thanks acajane.....I was there last May and the weather was wonderful. This year has been so weird, PV and here had rain in Feb...and cold, 60's.....

So sounds like ACA was or has not been having typical weather either....

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions so far, more please so I have lots to pick from....think of places that I can say ah yes that was in Acapulco not PV etc....Su Casa does this for me and Bella Vista at Las Brisas...looking to have a meal and also make memories.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am coming back ACA.....are you ready for me...

Well Barbaroja certainly fits that bill. Only the restaurtants on the ensenica or a place like Barbaroja certainly let you know your in Acapulco.

They are a bit pricey bUt I do like there open air atmosphere. My daughter has always loved it and I think I have to break down and bring her next time.

As Jane said the weather most of the time had much overcast but we did get about 3 perfect ones at the tail end of the trip and all in the mid 80's so just perfect. And never rained.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco