We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver
6 posts
Save Topic
Carnival

Zzaa, Gomexico, & Ibeefa

Do you guys know of any planned events next week for Carival time, such as parades or celebrations. Location & times would be great if you know or can find out & thanks so much!!

Denver
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Carnival

Yes Ron- If I may ask you to post- I may be interested!! Thaks Heeps!!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Carnival

Okay, Brighton ...

This info I'm offering has been excerpted from the Moon Handbooks "Acapulco" guide (copyright 2005) - which I just happened to be reading last night when I went to bed.

Here's what's said ...

"If you're in Iguala around the time of Carnaval (the week before Ash Wednesday), consider visiting the important town of Teloloapan (pop. 20,000), about 17 miles (27km) along the Altamirano highway west of Iguala. The Telaloapan Carnaval (Mardi Gras), locally called the "Paseo de los Agullis", is unique. Beginning a week before Ash Wednesday, usually in early February, celebrants dance through the streets to the rhythm of drum and tamborine and splash themselves with paint. On Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, they climax it all with a dangerous competition, climbing a high tree for valuable prizes in its limbs. The merrymaking continues during the subsequent week, in the "Fiesta of the Second Friday of Lent, a weeklong (Mon.-Sun. after Ash Wednesday) celebration, including a daily round of traditional dances, a big handicrafts fair, and fireworks."

Notes:

For your own info, their is a/c first-class bus service from downtown Acapulco to Iguala ... about 125 miles. I believe you'd then have to take a second-class bus for the ride into Telaloapan. (Bus travel is rather inexpensive - but I could look up rates if you're interested.)

Not sure, but I'd assume that - if you wanted to stay overnight - there must be a hotel/motel (or two or three) in Telaloapan - or simply bus it back to Iguala and stay there. [Can also give you info on hotels in Iguala, if needed. Rooms run about US$25/night, double.]

Hope this is helpful.

RonVal

P.S. I would think that, if there's anyone here on the Forum who might have additional knowledge of Telaloapan, it would be GoMexico. Maybe he'll see this post - and offer suggestions.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Carnival

Bumped for Brighton ...

and for GOMEXICO to see, as well (for possible additional input?).

Brighton ...

I just realized that you folks are leaving TOMORROW! (Correct?)

Have a great time in Mexico - and, if possible, come back and fill us all in ... after you return.

Happy Travels!

RonVal