We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK ACA experts, here's one----

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
The Villages...
Level Contributor
442 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
OK ACA experts, here's one----

Is it legal or illegal to bring wine to ACA or into Mex at all? We like Kendall Jackson Chardonnay & since they now have those cute little boxes which would make for easy traveling, we were wondering if we can bring it in our luggage?

We cruise a lot & always take wine to enjoy in our cabin and thought this might work in ACA as well.

Thanks in advance.

Rosie

The Villages...
Level Contributor
442 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

zzaa????????

RonVal???????

Need????

acasun????

Where are all my experts????

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

I velieve you can bring up to 3 litres of wine as a tourist. Honestly, I wouldn't go through the hassle and risk the bottles breaking. Wallmart has several wines.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
442 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

Hi Need!

I'm only interested in this because it is now "bottled" in a little box by Kebndall Jackson! Thought it may be VERY easy to travel. Do you know if Walmart has American wines or just Mexican & European wines?

So, 3 liters is legal?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

I'm almost certain that the answer to the question is ... 2 liters.

Ron

The Villages...
Level Contributor
442 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

Really? 2 not 3? Looks lije it might NOT be worth it then.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

Here's what I understand to be the regulations:

When crossing into Mexico, if you have no merchandise to declare, you must go through the Stop and Go light check point. A green light means proceed ahead without inspection. A red light means stop for inspection.

When you travel to Mexico by airplane or by ship, you are allowed to import (duty free) a total of items worth up to $300 per person (including children). For example, a family of five members consisting of the parents and three minor children can import up to $1,500 worth of merchandise, duty free.

Tourist are allowed to bring in their personal effects duty free, in addition to the above, your personal effects may include: New or used good for personal use, such as clothing, footwear, and hygiene products, so long as they are in accordance with the duration of the trip, and their quantity does not suggest that they can be the object of commercialization. A tourist can also bring a set of binoculars, a photographic camera and a video recorder (their power sources too), a television, a radio or radio-cassette, tape, CD, or DVD player, a personal computer (i.e. laptop, notebook, omni book, etc.), up to 20 recording tapes or CD’s, 5 DVD’s, 12 rolls of unused film, a cell phone, a typewriter, a musical instrument that can be hand carried, books & magazines (whose quantity does not suggest that they can be the object of commercialization).

For outdoor activities tourist can bring a camping tent and camping equipment, a set of fishing equipment, a pair of skis, 5 used toys for minors (as long as they can be transported by one person), two sets of used personal sports equipment (as long as they can be transported by one person), a motor-less boat less than 5 1/2 meters long or surf board with or without a sail.

Regarding disabled persons, goods for personal use that, by their characteristics, compensate for or diminish their disability. Tourist can bring medicine for personal use (The prescription must be shown if they are psychotropic substances).

Adult passengers may also bring a maximum of 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco, and up to 3 liters of whine, beer, or liquor, with the understanding that a larger quantity of these products cannot be imported without complying with the applicable regulations and restrictions.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

About buying wines (and liquor) in ACA, I suggest the well-known, and largest distributor in Mexico - La Europea. The company has stores in many parts of Mexico, including one in ACA (http://www.laeuropea.com.mx/). Gallo wines are widely distributed, even in ACA - if that sort of thing interests you. Good bargains can be had on excellent wines from Chile, and I encourage you to give them a try (Concha y Toro is a well-known brand from Chile). Wines from Europe and elsewhere are also represented. Some American wines, in addition to Gallo are sold, but there's a high duty placed on many of them (and not on Chilean wines, or some Spanish wines, etc.). I'd leave the wine at home, and buy locally. Experiment a bit. There are some good wines from Baja California that are sold at La Europea, and Wal-Mart, and you might want to give them a try.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

It is 3 litres not 2 and you can find all kinds of wine in Aca. Wallmart had some from California, Chile, Spain and of course Mexico. I'm sure you will be fine if you take your own wine or leave it at home. Either way, you will have wine to choose from.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
442 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

WOW, thanks guys! I think we WILL leave it home--maybe 1 box for arrival!!! lol lol We love Chilean wines, so that will be great if we can get those locally, unfortunately, we don't drink Gallo, but I'm sure if they carry that, they will have many more we can try!

Appreciate all the info!

Rosie

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK ACA experts, here's one----

I'm not a wine lover or conisseuer (sp) but Argentina seems to really be producing good wines lately and you can get those in Mexico as well.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco