We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cab driver vs. rental car

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
cab driver vs. rental car

Hi everyone,

I have been reading evrything I can find on the trip advisor site and I am still not sure which transportation option I should use. We are staying at the Mayan and there are six of us. Our plan is to travel to taxco the day after we arrive in ACA, spend one night there and return to ACA for 5 more days. I still have not been able to ascertain what a one way trip into downtown from the Mayan would cost with a driver. We have driven in Paris and several other large cities and are not intimidated to drive so we were thinking it would be more economical to just rent our own car or van. There was only one thread that I found that someone spoke about parking downtown - where should we park our car if we are planning to just leave it someplace while we walk or take the bus around town? What do the experts think of our plan?

Thanks

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

Acapulco is not Paris. Take a taxi around Acapulco. Downtown parking is a hassle, but here's what I do: park in a big store lot (e.g., Aurerra, Comercial).

Above all, do not try to drive to Taxco.

P.S. I live in Acapulco and drive through Taxco on a regular basis.

P.S. If you are LDS, suggest you take the Pie de la Cuesta bus from downtown. About 2 km from PDLC there is a new LDS church.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

LDSgirl -

"I still have not been able to ascertain what a one way trip into downtown from the Mayan would cost with a driver."

If I recall correctly (from other threads) ... about $150MX sounds right - although they'll certainly try to soak you for more. Check out the "Taxi Driver / Tour Guide" thread - and try to latch onto a decent driver with a nice van or Suburban vehicle (for the six of you).

Can get off at the beginning of the Costera (anywhere from WalMart on -->) ... and just travel the Costera using the local buses (4 or 5 pesos apiece - depending on whether it's an a/c bus or not).

And - although there are varying opinions regarding "driving" in ACA - I, for one, wouldn't attempt it (or be bothered). LOTS of buses - LOTS of taxis. For the length of time you'll be there - shouldn't be all that expensive.

Good luck - and let us know how you make out.

RonVal

P.S. Taxco roundtrip ... by bus (see the "Estrella" forum thread), $150MX each way, per person; but, I'd think that - with a group your size, better with a private driver. Should be about $2000MX (R/T) - maybe more(?) for six people.

3. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, June 28, 2008
Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

LDS...couldn't help but notice your nickname. I just graduated from BYU last year. My wife and I are heading out to ACA in March. When will you be out there?

Level Contributor
1,693 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

LDS...the trip to Taxco should be about $65.00-90 p/p depending on who your driver is..... We will be going to Taxco in March from ACA also, and we chose to have a tour guide take us to learn more about the area and TAXCO.

We have learned from our other trips that we missed out on so much information because we drove ourselves instead of having a local tour guide take us. They know all the places to point out that would otherwise go unnoticed....

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

Tired Mom -

"the trip to Taxco should be about $65.00-90 p/p depending on who your driver is"

For some reason that sounds high?

I still can't understand this "per person" thing ... for this type of trip. Same gas, same time, same vehicle. Doesn't make sense to me.

Now I'm remembering that you had a $350 quote from Arturo (which, again ---> sounds high?).

Here's another post which I located on the Forum:

jazzed

Kansas City, MO

Posted on: 10:52 pm, Dec 18, 2005

"My fiance and I took a cab from Acapulco to Taxco last week ... The trip will probably cost you around $200 RT. We had a great time with our driver Angel, he took us everywhere in Acapulco (including Taxco)and he was a great person to be around! His number is 044 744 138 0593, call him , he'll pick up the phone. Tell him Aaron and Noelle say "hi"! and we'll be back soon!"

Now that - IMO - is much more reasonable (and fair).

Just an FYI ...

RonVal

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cab driver vs. rental car

Hi JBN8,

We will arch 9 and returning on the 16. We are planning to attend church in ACA - my husband has been in contact with a couple of Bishops (there are several wards!) there so if you are interested in that info let me know. You can e-mail me at"thejonesfamily7@mchsi.com"