We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep sea fishing info wanted

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mid, minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Deep sea fishing info wanted

I'll be in Aca the first week of Feb, for the first time. My last outing in Cabo we did a fishing trip one day, and had a blast catching tuna. I'd like to try fishing in Aca with the wife and inlaws. I can only seem to find two charters listed anywhere on the net who offer fishing. I know there are many more who simply dont advertise on the web for cost reasons. My real question would be is it possible to make arrangements once I get there with a local fishing outfitter, or should I arrange a outing via internet. And are the prices listed on the web pretty much standard, being in the $300-$350?boat?? And yes, are the odds of having a successful outing good during that time period? Thanks,

Joaquin, TX
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

my family joined another family fishing; 5 altogether. we paid $150 + $50 dollar tip for an 8 hr trip. everybody on the boat caught a sailfish. i'll see if i can get some contact info.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

Reap -

There has been a great deal of info posted here at the Forum re deepsea fishing in ACA - which may answer many/most of your questions. Below are the Forum links you should look at ...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150787-i177-k2779…

http://tinyurl.com/a3tkl

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150787-i177-k3669…

Buena Suerte! Hope this helps ...

Happy Travels!

RonVal/44:30

Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

Reap,

I guess it depends what you are looking for and haven´t checked the links RonVal gives so apologies if I am repeating info. The rates vary greatly according to the size and quality of the boat that you book. I am sure others here can pass you recommendations, I have found www.fish-r-us.com to offer a good service. I would say that you don´t need to make your reservations until you get here and then would suggest you contact the companies yourself directly rather than through an agency and you may find they offer you a discount as they will have to pay any agency a comission. Hope that helps you!

Kansas
Level Contributor
213 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

We have always just walked down to the boats and look em over and then start pricing. Seem like everthing is negotiable in mexico.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

fishing is good in feb.....this is a bit much what is advertised what you saw on the internet.....check out what ron has wrote to you and you may make a first hand contact via email for a quote rather that going thru and agency.....please keep in mind everyone who thinks you can just walk along the pier and get a better price is not always true and also keep in mind the price of gas and how much it takes to fill the boat up for an eight hour trip.......i think you are looking at any where between 150 and 200 dollars for a good boat and a good captian....zzaa

Mid, minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

Thanks much for the information. Pretty much what I anticipated, that I would be able to find fishing once I got there. And as far as price goes, I'm willing to pay for the service I get. After all, I'll be on vacation, and its vacation dollars I'm spending, its not the same as real money, is it?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

Reap -

We think alike - lol! - "vacation $$$" not the same as "real $$$" ... BUT, look around, shop around, strike a deal - and you can save yourself some $PESOS$ (to spend elsewhere!).

Look at some of those threads above - maybe consider emailing (ahead) to "Lorenzo". I went back & forth with him (when I thought that my brother-in-law would be joining us - but isn't) and Lorenzo sounds like a nice knowledgeable Captain. (Also read Laurabelle's report on the boat trip they did with Lorenzo.) He'll give you a good (fair) fishing rate! Just have to ask.

Buena Suerte ...

RonVal/26:00

new york
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

how did the trip go? i'm heading down to fish

with jesus next week.

Mid, minnesota
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

mahigold

The good news is I got out fishing on two separate occasions. The bad news is I didn't have the success I wanted. The rumor was the water was a bit cooler than the fish like. Who knows??

My first outing was very boring with no sign of anything. Than 3 days later the captain called my hotel and told me they found fish that day. So I tried again. The second outing showed more promise. We ran into some small tuna on the way out that morning. A good sign the captain said. After I pulled in the first one he rigged that up for bait. Than the boat next to us caught a sailfish. We got to a area where a dozen boats or so were trolling around. Some boats were catching fish and we saw a few sailfish jumping close to our boat. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. One boat that day had 7 sailfish. Four of them got off, the other three broke the line. They ended up with a bit of excitement and frustration. If you need any more info you can let me know and I can email you. Reap

new york
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep sea fishing info wanted

they weren't pulling your leg, there was a cold current there and it does turn off the bite a bit. tks for the info.