We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach in Acapulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Beach in Acapulco

I was just in Bucerias. I did not like the look of the water or sea. Very dirty looking and rough. Is it any better in Acapulco or is it the same? Please let me know. How different is Acapulco from Puerto Vallarta. Is it more like Cancun or PV?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach in Acapulco

it is not like bucerias acapulco is better but we dont have the lite blue water or the white sand that they have in cancun....but what we do have here are lots of beaches to choose from and warm waters aswell ....the water in the bay is warmer than what you find in puerto vallarta....all year round......dont know what time of the year you are looking at but right now is not a good time....too many people......after the xmas break things go back to normal.....hope this has been of some help.....zzaa

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach in Acapulco

Some of the photos in my Acapulco online album have water/beach shots, and they might give you an idea of what you'll see:

community.webshots.com/user/billmasterson-reg

HAMILTON
Level Contributor
1 post
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach in Acapulco

Acapulco has many beaches each is different from the other some the is very soft and covered in sharp tiny sea shells hard on the feet. the the sand is easy to walk on. some are very busy with locals like Caleta,but is a place to see. I would recommend you visit all. Been there 4 times already going back soon for 2 months

Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach in Acapulco

Hi Ginger

You seem to have plenty of info about the sea. I tend to think of Acapulco as a nice mix between Cancun and Vallarta. The reason for this is that it is still a bay area and still real mexico although you wont see the cobbled streets of Vallarta here, but there is still plenty of restaurants, clubs and bars just in a city and not an area purpose built for the tourist like Cancun.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach in Acapulco

I have been to Bucerias and the surrounding area, its location is actually in the State of Nayarit and not in Jalisco, it is in the Banderas bay which is by the way probably the largest bay in Mexico.

Banderas bay has a big advantage over other bays in Mexico `cause its mouth is very wide, therefore in theory the bay has a good flow of water and cleans itself with the natural currents that flow up and down the Pacific.

During the wet season the water tends to get cloudy and it does not look very clean and also at some time of the year you get what is called--La Marea Roja-- The red tide and when that happens the water looks dirty and it has a certain smell.

The red tide is a natural cycle that happens once every year.

The Acapulco bay has a very narrow mouth, it does not have the oppennes of Banderas bay,and naturally, one would think that the Acapulco bay has seen better days in terms of cleanliness.

And then you ad the fact that this is a port that with a lot of activity (Cruiseships, cargo ships etc.)and is also the oldest tourist destination in Mexico, the growth as a city, and also the fact that Acapulco is surrouded by mountains.

During the wet season the rain pushes everthing down from the hills into the bay.

If you are looking for a clean resort Acapulco should not be on the top.

As a city, Acapulco has everything to offer, good shopping, excellent food and a large variety o factivities.

If I wanted to be in a very clean beach I would go to Cozumel and places near there.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach in Acapulco

The results of government water-quality testing disclose, in recent months this year, that the water in several parts of Bahia de Banderas is far more contaminated than the water in ACA.

As for the water looking "dirty", that's poppycock. Have a look at the photos I posted in my albums if you doubt what I'm saying.

The "Acapulco is dirtier" story is just an urban legend, IMO - and not based on fact.

Each destination offers something different: Vallarta is where many Americans and Canadians go because they find people like themselves there . . . not too different than the major reason Americans flock to Cancun (in the passt). It's also smaller, and manyh people like smaller, less congested at peak periods locations. ACA, on the other hand, offers a more "Mexican" experience (yes, I realize each of these places is in Mexico) and an environment where Mexican's on vacation far outnumber the foreigners.

I don't view one location as "good" or "bad" or "better" or "worse." We can enjoy them all, depending upon what we're looking for and the mood we're in.

jms
Minnesota
Level Contributor
332 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach in Acapulco

I have been to Acapulco, PV and Riviera Maya. I would compare Acapulco beaches to PV, except the water is much rougher. In my opinion it is nearly impossible to swim because of this and the undertow. I was at the Crowne Plaza. There may be other beaches that swimmable.

Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach in Acapulco

jms

You are right, Crowne Plaza is probably one of the worst areas to try and swim because of its location opposite the mouth of the bay but other areas along the beach are totally different eg opposite Papagayo Park, in front of the Hyatt etc just to name a couple.

With regard to comments that Acapulco is dirty, it has its areas and it is a city but I too have visited both Puerto Vallarta, Bucerias and Nuevo Vallarta and would not say that it was any different in terms of cleanliness. Go Mex is right each has its ups and downs and each location is right for some and not for others.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach in Acapulco

once again there are soooooooooooooo many beaches to choose from here in acapulco...check them out if you dont like one certain beach try another.....lots to choose from take your pick.....zzaa

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
402 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach in Acapulco

Thanks, guys.

I did not bathe in the bay/sea while in Bucerias. I enjoyed my stay in the area. It was a different experience from the Mayan Riviera side. What I am trying to experience is seeing more of the country, culture and the people. I got more of it in PV/Bucerias than in the Cancun/Playa area. I just missed bathing in the sea. I guess I will have to accept that I may not get a sea bath when I go there. GoMex. I will check out your pictures.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco