We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time to Ixtapa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
WI.
12 posts
Save Topic
Driving time to Ixtapa?

NW/ Delta has cancelled our return home from ACA> They rebooked us out of ZIH. I will rent a car to drive from ACA to ZIH what kind of timeframe am I looking at? Will be staying at the Mayan Palace. We will travel on a Sat. TIA Scott

Edited: 9:17 am, December 08, 2009
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

If I recall, it is about a 4 hour drive. Why don't you consider taking the bus? Much cheaper and an easier ride.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

Renting a car just for one journey seems crazy to me. I just checked Hertz and they charge 127 USD just to drop off the car in ZIH from Acapulco so, with insurance, you're looking at 200 USD for that one journey - plus the hassle of navigating across Acapulco. Get the bus - it's safe, comfortable and stress-free!

Acapulco
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

The drive is about 5 hours and now that the road is torn up with construction that should last for the next 6 months, the bus is your best bet.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

Don't have ANYTHING to do with Hertz...the Hertz locations...for rentals or for returns...are using your credit card improperly. No one is doing anything about it...Hertz or otherwise....so stay totalllly away from Hertz!

Take the bus...come and stay for a nite or two in Zihua...that way you can see more than just the airport. Bet you might like it!!

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

Hey Judy !!Stop taking out visitors away form our beloved Acapulco .....

Ha Ha only joking with you !! LOL

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

Sponge......

Taking the bus is to me the suggested best idea!!

There is a bus station near the Mayan so you do not have to go into town

I suggest you buy the ticket on arrival to Acapulco at the bus station in Diamante and if you need to leave early you can enjoy some time in Zhiua!!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

I know you are joking!!!

The bus station is right at the edge of downtown Zihua...so it will be about a $20 peso ride right to the downtown area...or $40 pesos to LaMadera or LaRopa. Or just take the taxi out to the airport from the bus station...it is about a 10-15 minute ride...about $100 pesos. Keep in mind the 3 hour check in policy...especially on a Saturday. They are very strict with the check-in laws...and Saturday is the busiest day of the week. Check in too late...they just don't let you board. The security check in lines can be long...and they are very very slow. They hand check you at the ticket counter...very very slow...each suitcase...then had searched again before you board the plane with your carry ons...keep in mind it is Mexico...and it is slow. I have lost more things this year at the Zihua airport than ever...all things that were ok leaving the USA...but somehow illegal when leaving the Z airport.

And remember...do NOT buy water in the secured area thinking you will take it on the ZIH to MSP flight...won't happen. They take it from you...

All the people that are on the ACA cancelled flights were offered this option of using the Zihua flight. Doesn't say much about the open seats those flights had!!! Tough year!

WI.
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

Thank's for all the ideas. Our flight leaves at 3:10P.M. how early does the bus leave?Trave will be on Feb 21st can't seem to be able to read the spanish on the bus websites!!

Edited: 6:41 pm, December 08, 2009
discovery bay, CA
Level Contributor
137 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

We took the Primera Plus bus last month from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende - 4 hours - it was great !! Not a problem at all. I'm sure they go all over the country. A movie, a sandwich, a soda and bathrooms for like $50 for 2 !

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving time to Ixtapa?

There is a bus leaving around 6:00 a.m. that makes a couple of stops and takes about 4 hours. The others leave every 1/2 hour and make a lot of stops and will take about 5 hours or more. There is construction on the road to Zihua and it may still be going on in February so keep in mind construction delays.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco