We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acapulco Strip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Acapulco Strip

I have been here for the past few days, the strip is not what it use to be.

Paradise, the Pirate Place and Baby Lobster were only half full on Friday and Saturday Night.

Also, the htole is half empty. The weather is great though and no shortage of Sun and Sand.

Has anyone else noticed the change, is this just an off year

483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Acapulco Strip

i think aca is loosing some of the new tourism, to other places..heavy promotions for the caribbean are everywhere.

spring breaks are the norm, and packed everywhere, from florida, to cancun, to aca.

gold zone is loosing to the diamond zone, the new resorts are taking over, amenities all under the same roof seem to be family oriented, and frequented..gold zone is competing with the diamond zone watering holes..

do not forget, usa is in a recession, war took a toll, rising prices of the crude are not leveling...

i know, melancholy sets in, that strip was always active, and its patrons unique, makes it hard to imagine it is disintegrating...picks up on weekends, somewhat though...however a business needs to thrive during its peak season 7 days a week, to compensate for the slow months....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Acapulco Strip

Travel Agents tell me The eastern side of Mexico ( Mayan , Cancun ) have taken over as Mexican Destinations. The old charm of the pacific side just doesn,t relate to the younger generation.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acapulco Strip

Honestly, it really is a shame. Acapulco has a special charm to it. The whole atmosphere of the city backdrop and the action along the main strip is what attracts me to Acapulco. Bustling nightlife a plenty. I'm sure my buddy will be hooked once he experiences it next month. I'm sure the bars along the coestra will be packed with spring breakers. My other friends have limited interest in going to Aca. They prefer the all inclusive mini South Beach in Cancun. I don't mind Cancun, but it lacks the character of Acapulco. Might end up in both spots in 09.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acapulco Strip

Dave

I have to agree with you..But Spring Break has attracted alot of the youth to ACA last few years I know the storms have helped but they will remember the great times they had & who knows may return many years later...

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acapulco Strip

Well maybe some of the big chains like Marriott, Holiday Inn etc., need to invest down hear.

I mean you cannot beat the weather at this place.

As for the Costera, I´m telling you not what it used to be, maybe you are right, that with the economy and so forth, that is why. All I can say is for those who have not been to ACA. give it a shot you will not regret it.

Adios, got to get back to the 34 degree sunshine

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Acapulco Strip

enjoy it........i dont want to tell you what it is doing in toronto today.......lol.......zzaa

london
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acapulco Strip

Part of it though is not a loss of tourists to Cancun and Cabo but a loss of tourists to Acapulco Diamante. Lets face it, thats where all the new investment has been. I am sure the people who loved Traditional hated it when Dorado displaced them and likewise a lot of people who love Dorado are reluctant to acknowledge the change that is taking place.

Acapulco is not passe. It is a vibrant, lively tourist destination except the focus has shifted.

Besides the new events center, the convention center, the 800 room convention center hotel, the La Isla shopping center with a Palacio Hierro and endless upscale condos stretching past the airport, the Diamante area is also about to get an ultra hip boutique hotel from the people who have Habita and Condesa DF, and a Banyan Tree hotel where rooms start around $850 night (US) and the buzz is that there is also going to be a W.

Last Saturday I went to lunch at Granja around 4:00PM and had to wait about 15 minutes to get a table and this restaurant is huge. The same night super expensive Becco was full and afterwards we had planned to do the rooftop lounge at Zuntra but there were so many people waiting to get in we decided to skip it.

The great thing about Acapulco is the diversity and mixed with all this newness you can still go to PDLC, have drinks at Los Flamingos, go to a small local restaurant off the Costera, party at crazy expensive but still very glamourous Baby O's and stop now and then for a breathtaking view of one of the most beautiful bays in the world.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acapulco Strip

London,

Beautifully put!!!

I agree totally on these facts and these are things not found in the newer resorts....nor the climate!!

Peeeerfect most days!!!

Go Acapulco!!!!!!!!!

Acasun..........

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acapulco Strip

Loondon

I agree too...And I tell you if a W Hotel comes to town forget the hard beds lol those are the best in the world..Anyone who has stayed at one can attest to that...Any all I can say is this thursday about 30 of us from TA will be packing a few places that for the next week or so..

Yoho National Park...
Level Contributor
436 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acapulco Strip

Well leaving today and going home to cold and snow but will be back as always..... and just one last thought what would you all think is the best Hotel on the strip, for luxury, food, view and acommodation not to metnion Service.

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations