We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

Hi -- We'd like to spend a lot of time in the water. It looks like Acapulco has much warmer ocean temp than our other choice, Mazatlan. Is this true? (I'm talking about Jan 23-30.

Is Acapulco a real good place for snorkeling?

Mickey

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

I know your water will be warm, As for snorkeling? I am not an expert but do not think it is one of the best places for it. I am sure one of the local experts can give you the dope on that.

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

while acapulco is not one of the best places in mexico for snorkeling it is still a heck of a lot better than in mazatlan........the water is warm anywhere between 74 to 78 degrees best place to go is roquetta island...........have a great time...........any other questions feel free to ask and welcome to the acapulco forum.......zzaa

Toronto
Level Contributor
294 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

Two years ago when I was in Acapulco in the middle of January the water temp was listed on the weather chanel as 28c or about 84f degrees.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

CoolestBreeze is right on the money regarding water-temps (although I'm sure that it can vary by a few degrees from one pinpoint-location to another ... and, of course, by time-of-day).

Here's a forum-link to one of my own post-reports from last year ... about "Air & Water Temps". [ I had brought my pool-thermometer to ACA that year. LOL. ]

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150787-i177-k4326…

As for snorkeling and/or SCUBA, the above responders have summed it all up. Surely, there are plenty of visitors who DO go snorkeling in Acapulco (and enjoy it); but the point is ... that it's not comparable to what you'd experience - for example - on the east coast of Mexico, or in the Caribbean islands.

If you'd still like to incorporate snorkeling into your plans, it's been said here many times that your best bet might be to head out to Isla La Roqueta (a small island on the west side of the city, accessible via water-taxi from Playas Caleta/Caletilla). They rent snorkeling gear right there on the beach - at reasonable cost.

There are also some snorkel/SCUBA companies which offer "tours", if that's what you prefer; but it's not a must for the casual enthusiast. Here's one which comes to mind:

Acapulco Scuba

acapulcoscuba.com/ingles/tours.htm#snorkel

Enjoy the trip - and try to come back to tell us all about it, on your return. Thanks.

RonVal-29

NJ
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

Water temp is warm, but the conditions are not clear. You can barely see your feet standing in the water. Snorkeling is very bad in Acapulco. The only half decent spot would be Roquetta Island and even that's terrible by most standards. Of course if you never snorkeled before you may get excited by seeing anything alive in the water.

Boston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

I'll add my two cents here. While Acapulco snorkeling does not measure up to the Caribbean because of reduced visibility, I still think its worth doing. We have gone diving and/or snorkeling in Acapulco every year for the last 10 or so, and while I would not rate it as a snorkeling or diving destination, I still find it very enjoyable - and the snorkeling is definitely better than the diving. In addition to Rocqueta, which has already been mentioned, we've had good snorkeling in Puerto Marquez (get one of the boats to take you out into the bay) and at Boca Chica (we eat lunch at the hotel there and then snorkel off of their beach - just watch out for the crabs). We've had very good luck snorkeling and diving with Swiss Divers - they'll pick you up, take you to their boat and take you out to a couple of spots to snorkel/dive. We'll probably be taking a trip with them in a couple of weeks when we're down there again. Have fun!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

Hello goldman -

Glad to see you're still around ... and ready for another trip "South of the Border". We've had an early start to our cold weather up here - and it's a great feeling to know that Acapulco's just a flight away.

Just wanted to mention - in the event you aren't aware of it - that the Hotel Boca Chica has changed hands and is temporarily closed for an overhaul (until March/'08, if I recall correctly). But yes, having lunch there, in the palapa-roofed restaurant, was a real pleasure. We'll miss that next month; and hope that they don't make too many changes to the place. Last January, we met & spoke with a Canadien guy who'd been staying there for years - and enjoyed watching as he snorkled on both sides of the pier (something which had become a daily ritual for him).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

Ron

Level Contributor
7,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

thanks goldman and nice to see that you are still around ........i saw the swiss divers about a month ago and where they stop for the snorkeling is an excellent stop sorry to say in the area where they made there stop the water was quite clear and i could see the fish without even getting wet from the private pier where i was standing.......swiss divers are defenitly a good choice rather than just taking a little boat ride to the island thanks for reminding me of this...........zzaa

Boston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

zzaa and RonVal - nice to be back among friends again. We're heading to Mexico City next Thursday, spending a few days in Zitacuaro to go see the butterflies again, and then on to Acapulco! Thanks for the tip about Boca Chica - saved me a long ride there for nothing.

Toronto
Level Contributor
294 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water Temperature? -- Snorkeling?

I have met people that just go snorkeling around the Caleta rocks and the under the bridge to majic mundo island and they said they saw lots and lots of beautiful fish. At least at Caleta and Caletilla the water is crystal clear. You can see your toes wiggling in the sand while standing in water up to your chin. The waves at Caleta and near the Boca Chica are very small so the sand is not disturbed and the waves won't swamp your snorkel.

Anyone interested in this area should take a look at my review of The Acamar Beach Resort. It's a fabulous hotel that's overlooked by a lot of people but being flat in the center of Caleta Beach it is one of the most ideal locations. I prefer it to Boca Chica because there are no stairs to climb as everything is flat. If you go to the Acamar website at www.acapulcobeachresort.com you can see a virtual tour and video and photos of the area and the hotel.