We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
3 posts
1 review
Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

After doing some research and talking to my travel agent, last week I booked a trip to the Grand Mayan for Mach 2018. Then yesterday the US State Department issued a DO NOT TRAVEL advisory to Guerrero, including Acapulco. I am now VERY concerned about taking this trip with my two teen age kids and would appreciate advice from those that travel there often and/or have been there in the past year.

34 replies to this topic
1. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:52 am, January 12, 2018

3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

Below is the txt directly from the State Department website - it does say DO NOT TRAVEL

Guerrero state – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers.

U.S. government employees are prohibited from travel to the entire state of Guerrero, including Acapulco.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
1 review
3. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

Jane - In all fairness to the OP, she's right in that the U.S. State Department just issued a 'Do Not Travel' advisory for the entire state of Guerrero (specifying Acapulco but including Zihua & Ixtapa too), as well as four other Mexican states (including Mazatlan). They've recently revamped their whole advisory system ... and now Acapulco is on the same level as Syria and North Korea - LOL.

To the original poster ... for whatever it's worth, look down a few threads and take time to read my own recent posting. Here's a direct link:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15078…

We can't wait to be back in beautiful Acapulco! You can decide for yourself ...

Edited: 11:44 am, January 12, 2018
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

We are here now. Been here for a month. Be back for Feb in a few weeks. We haven’t had an issue in twenty years. Like any city you visit there are areas where you can go and others that area a no go.

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

Live here full time. Go shopping, to the beach, to the Costera to dine, etc. Hasn't affected my lifestyle one bit.

Peterborough & the...
Level Contributor
510 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

45Brigidim

I have been going to Acapulco for 27 years now every January and / or February. I have gone both single with Friends and with a Girlfriend. I have never been robbed, threatened, or accosted, or felt unsafe. The local people I have met have been so amazing and the Mexican Hospitality is second to none.

There is also no better weather on the Planet and no better Night Life in the World such as Palladium and BabyO'S. I stay in the Tourist area, go to well established places, I do not do, or buy drugs and I drink moderate with Alcohol.

I suggest you stay at the Copacabana Hotel, perfect secure central location, right on the beach, amazing food and quality . so clean a hotel you can eat off the floor and very secure and plenty of English speaking staff to assist. I have walked the Costera at 3:00 PM and 3:00 AM and have been totally fine, both with people and alone, although I still would not recommend walking anywhere anyplace alone at 3:00 am

The bottom line is, common sense dictates what kind of a vacation you will have.

Please let us know where you stay and go the people on this Travel Forum are all very nice and experience Acapulco people, of all ages and backgrounds. Good Luck

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

Every city has areas that need to be avoided, although in Acapulco you'd have to go pretty far out of your way to find those areas.

Calgary Alberta...
Level Contributor
206 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

The US hasn’t issued any travel warnings to Las Vegas. Levels of Violence never seen anywhere in México. Innocent music fans right on the main strip 58 people dead and 546 injured .

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
9. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

I too am planning to travel to Acapulco in February 2018. Due the the heightened Travel warning to a Level 4 for 5 states in Mexico this past week I am truly now concerned as to whether or not to go.

https:/…

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,951 posts
111 reviews
10. Re: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018

Arriving in 32 days. I can’t wait!

Reply to: Traveling to Acapulco March 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted