We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

Please don't laugh at me LOL! The question probably sound stupid at face value but I read a blog on a site that said its not like NY?? So please enlighten my on the process there? I just like to make sure Im in the know.

I haven't taken the time to look what post that might have already been created yet. But Id figure Id rely on my faith few that I have just recently met so far. You guys have a great help, trust me?

Brooklyn Park...
Level Contributor
300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

The simplest answer. Stand at a curb, or street corner, and hold up your hand when you see a blue and white cab. Typically an old Volkswagen beetle,but there are other blue and white makes. Air conditioned vehicles will be more expensive. Don't hail the yellow and white vehicles. They are typically shared, and sometimes go into the neighborhoods away from the main road. When they notice you're a gringo, they probably won't stop anyway. Try a blue and white bus. They are kind of a hoot to ride, and cheap. The downfall is they stop wherever and whenever, so it takes longer to get from A to B.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

Make sure you agree on the fare before you get in. Use the rates posted at your hotel as a guideline. They will be less on the street.

Do read the top questions and the traveler articles. There is a wealth of information there.

Edited: 12:47 pm, February 01, 2017
Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

I also find that even if you are walking the opposite direction, they STILL tap their horns and slow down...just in case you didn't know which way you were going, lol. And the more you ignore them, the more that will try to see if you need a taxi.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

Like Corey said, just stand at the curb. Even at a bus stop the cabbies will spot you and beep to see if you respond. Lotsa fun.

Brooklyn Park...
Level Contributor
300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

As mentioned earlier most of us think the Mexicans drive crazy. I don't know how they drive in Toledo, but it's not like Minneapolis. After a couple of cab rides, you'll see one of the reasons renting a car is not a very good idea. However, don't worry about accidents. They know the unwritten rules. Whatever they are. Lol.

Edited: 3:37 pm, February 01, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

Thanks! I think im gonna start easing back on the research because all the different sites and blogs make you over think things too much..

TA has been my saving grace thus far! I think Im ready now LOL!

Acapulco, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,406 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

Oh, and don't worry if they make a left hand turn from the right hand lane on a green arrow (or sometimes maybe a red light) - they've got the side traffic light changes down to a fine art.

The shortest time here is between the time the light changes to green and the guy behind you blows his horn. Most often, it's simultaneously.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
927 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

As Jane said establish a price before getting in, just tell him where you are going and ask how much. They will know you are new to the area so probably tack on 10 peso extra, no big deal. Just so you have a price before you get in. During the ride get the cab fare ready, so when he stops the cab at your destination you aren't digging for money. Like Truck said carry 10 peso coins fr buses. Also carry 20 and 50 peso bills for cabs. Always cash your big bills in WalMart, OXXO etc so that you have correct change for cabs and buses....will make it a whole lot easier for you.....

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

2 questions:

Are there any nice Jazz clubs there?

Are the Cinemexs only in Spanish?

BC
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the process for hailing a Cab in Acapulco?

There is a movie theatre with about 5 screens right across from the Emporio hotel, it is inside a mall.

You can go in and see what is playing, it will depend. There may be all dubbed movies, or you might find an english one, with spanish subtitles. Last year we saw Spotlight, in english. All others were in Spanish. One time we watched Life of Pi in Spanish, good thing there was wasn't a lot of dialogue in that one.

Mentioned in this post
Emporio Acapulco Hotel
Emporio Acapulco Hotel
1,165 Reviews
Acapulco, Mexico