We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report from Acapulco-2017

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
516 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Report from Acapulco-2017

Departed Chicago on the redeye for the 40th consecutive year on Thursday @ 0025, arrived in Mexico on time, took 1 hour & 5 minutes to clear all the necessary stops, made it to gate 75 just as they announced boarding and made it to Acapulco again on time and Octavio was awaiting my arrival at 7:30. Trip was perfect and I hope the next two months are the same.

Checked into Pacific Paradise and then made it to the Zocolo for breakfast and to turn over all of the items Sylvester asked for. Pedicure at Illiana and shave and a haircut at Victor's.

Dinner at La Tortuga, Ruffino was in-charge, chili rellenos were excellen as was the coversationt.

Today I walked to the Zocolo and beyond before breakfast. Little has changed from last year. The old paella establishment has been refurbished and is now called Casa Azul and it appears to have a menu similar to the other beach restaurants.

Copacabana has been rebuilt and is looking very good.

The big government building on the Costera that could be government offices or utilized by the university is still vacant and fenced off.

The exercise machines by the cruise boat landing site are decrepit and unuseable.

It appears that vehicles are no longer being exported from Acapulco as there is not one in storage.

Diego Rivera's murals are still outstanding

More tomorrow.

Level Contributor
1,804 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Mike, there were several car boats that came in and loaded during the holidays. I should have mentioned that since there were none last season

Peterborough & the...
Level Contributor
487 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Mike great update, can I ask you to elaborate on the Copacabana ?? I have stayed there 12 of the last 15 years and always thought it was great, what has been done to improve and / or change it ??

Thanks so much

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,876 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Heat, Mike is talking about the Copacabana Restaurant that burned down a couple years ago.

Level Contributor
1,804 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

So what is the latest on the big government building? Last year it appeared to be all painted out and they were moving plants etc in and they are still visible from the street. However the plywood barricade is still in place.

Anyone heard any info?

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Oh how exciting about the Copa! Have you been there yet, Mike?

Loved going there and I think I will check it out!

Chicago
Level Contributor
516 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Not yet but I have only been in town for 2 days.It does look first class. I intend on inquiring of Elsie what she thinks.

Chicago
Level Contributor
516 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

I noticed today that Senor Walton's Pemex station, site of the old Carlos & Charlies, is completed but fenced off. I would guess the current administration will not provide the necessary permits.

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
263 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

We're taking the same red eye in march. Any other details? Haven't been through Mexico City airport.

Level Contributor
1,804 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Mike, while you are out and about(and chapa) it looked like the sidewalk upgrades,that have been going from south to north, jumped ahead and did the walks and drives at the new Oxxo/Pemex as well. Otherwise I finished about Holiday Inn

Edited: 11:17 am, January 15, 2017
Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,402 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Report from Acapulco-2017

Thanks for the initial report, Mike. You always seem to pick up on some of the changes that others might miss.

> I was just wondering about the old Sirocco, and if anything finally opened up there. Found the following article regarding their grand opening, and a Facebook page. Looks like 'Casa Azul' just opened at the end of November. Same owners?

revistapresencia.net/2016/…

https:/…

> And here's the website for the new Copa, as well as their Facebook page — for those who might be interested:

www.copacabanaclubacapulco.com/contacta2

https:/…

Keep us posted on whatever else you might see in your travels, Mike ...