We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Saltillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CRZ
Weed, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to stay

We will be traveling through Mexico soon on the way to Queretaro. We will probably stop in Saltillo for the night and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for a hotel that has secure parking. We will have a car full of stuff and hope to find someplace where we won't have to worry about it overnight. Also, any input on the best place to cross the border. We were thinking of crossing over either at Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras or Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna. Would appreciate any other words of wisdom anyone wants to offer!!

Thanks,

Carolyn

Del Rio, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay

I hope I'm not replying too late to be of any use...

I would suggest crossing in Del Rio, rather than in Eagle Pass. The road you would have to take on the Mexican side from Piedras Negras is much more dangerous, although they have expanded it recently.

In Saltillo, I would suggest staying at the Quinta Real. It does have secure parking, and is by far the nicest hotel in Saltillo. It's also quite easy to get to, if you're coming in from Del Rio. The Camino Real is also secure, although it is more out of the way, and the rooms aren't nearly as nice.

I hope this was of some help - let me know if you need any more information, as I'm from Del Rio with family in Saltillo.

CRZ
Weed, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay

alwv,

Thanks for the reply. No, it was not too late and it was good info. Do you know if you can do all your paperwork at the Del Rio crossing. Can you get the car permit there? I have heard that some places are better than others as far as hassle goes. We will have a car full of stuff and I sure would like to cross somewhere where they are not going to give us a hard time. Is Del Rio pretty laid back?

Thanks,

CRZ

Del Rio, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay

Yes, you can do alll your paperwork in Acuna, but of course it's a pain! You'll need to get your tourist permit first - for that you'll need your birth certificate and a driver's license - and that office is the first building on the left as you cross the bridge. You'll then need go to the right side of the street, about 1/2 a block up, to get the car permit, for which you'll need all kinds of paperwork, but I'm sure you know what all you'll need to bring.

As far as being searched as you're crossing, it's usually not an issue at all. They randomly pull over cars as you enter Acuna, but even when they do search you, it's usually a 30 second process, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay

I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. I crossed at Del Rio last time. Before that, numb-nut that I am, I had crossed at Laredo. Never again! Crossing at Del Rio was quicker and easier by far. I was lucky enough to get all my paperwork finished the afternoon before, so we crossed early in the morning. Somehow, given the laid-back attitude, everything was less confusing than it was in Laredo. The fact that my Spanish has improved may have had something to do with it . . . ;-)

texas
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay

I love the Colonial Alameda---small (40 or so rooms)huge rooms clean and extremely friendly at desk. Economical at about 50-60 bucks, close to downtown----Very safe parking---use to have a nigth watchman but that seems to have changed.

Call Veronica at 011-52-844-410-0088

Tell her Ted from Texas sent you

down side----No restaurant, no pool

As for the best place to cross-----Laredo is my choice although it is Not without problems. Acuna has a much longer drive after crossing and while the road is good and you do NOT have to pay a toll the paper work is more hazzle since you have to run to a corner store and get copies and get back in line and etc. Immigration people at Laredo know more about what they are doing!

I don't know much about piegras but Have heard that it is ok!

good luck

Houston
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay

Hmmm.

Depending on where most folks are coming from, Del Rio can be *substantially* out of the way and a HECK of a lot longer trip if somebody is actually headed to or through Saltillo.

IMHO, the *best* route is to use I-35 towards Laredo, *BUT* to cross at Colombia and *NOT* at any of the downtown Laredo crossings (which are hugely congested and a royal PITA). Colombia is only slightly out of the way, but shaves off quite a bit of hassle time. (No car insurance sales at Colombia though, so get your policy in advance, and remember that the crossing closes from 11pm to 6am daily).

And yes, the Quinta Real is a good suggestion for Saltillo. Very upscale, very new, yet not overpriced. The Holiday Inn Eurotel might not be a bad choice either (especially if Quinta Real is too pricey for you) --- it's closer in to town, on the trolley route, and does have a secured, off-road parking lot.

Have fun!

Mark

www.tiogringo.com

PORTALES,NM
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay

We had no problems crossing in or out of Acuna. Haven't been to the other places you speak of.

California
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay

CRZ

I know this is a very old post, but I'm planning to cross at Del Rio from Sonora, California later this year when I move to San Miguel Allende. How was your experience?! I've heard crazy things lately about Nuevo Laredo, but good about the Columbia Bridge. Looks like Del Rio is closest for those of us driving from California though and I've heard really good things about.

Thanks and if you could reply directly to me: casslarkin@sbcglobal.net. I would greatly appreciate it.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay

This is not the quickest reply BUT!!!!

I have crossed at Laredo, the Columbia Bridge and Del Rio. Laredo was a major circus. They were efficient, but I didn't really know what I was doing and ended up in the wrong lines and had to go back and do it over. . .

The Columbia Bridge was easy and quick.

I have crossed many more times at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuna. It is open 24 hours, which is nice. I have never had a line going over, although I have waited in a line about 20 minutes or so going back to the US.

The agents for vehicle permits and visas were all very nice and friendly. The fellow where I got the visas made copies for me the last time - before that I had to go to another place to get the copies made. Just goes to show that asking a question more than once is often a good idea.

I choose Del Rio because it is the most convenient for me coming from Colorado, and I think it is a very good choice in border crossings. It also has a handy HEB right where you turn off 90 to take the spur to the border. Excellent for stocking up for the next leg of the trip.

kerrville
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stay

My husband and I have been going back and forth to San Miguel twice a month from Texas since September and we always cross at Eagle Pass with NO problems and the roads are fine.

Get answers to your questions about Saltillo