We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternate Border crossing at Nuevo Laredo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Laredo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
Alternate Border crossing at Nuevo Laredo

We have crossed into Mexico at the crossing at the end of Interstate 35 in Laredo, Texas, cleared customs, gotten vehicle permits etc in Nuevo Laredo annually for the past 10 years. We have noticed a highway that crosses 35 overhead a few miles north of Laredo, Texas. It looks like a truck route that would cross the border and merge with the highway to Montery, Mexico somewhere south of Nuevo Laredo. Is this a route to try and can all of the permits be secured on this route?

Dallas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternate Border crossing at Nuevo Laredo

i believe the overpass you mention is just outside the city's edge and i think it is reserved for commercial crossings.

we use the colombia solidarity crossing which is around mile marker 25 or so. from 35 you take a two-lane toll road ($2) to the border. crossing is very fast, usually no one, and you can get your tourist and car permits there. the only problem i have experienced there was when we arrived at 5 in the morning to discover it is closed from 11 pm to 8 am.

also, be aware that there are no places to change currency and only a pemex gas station on the mexico side. once you cross over turn left after passing the pemex. after several miles (10 or so) there is a right hand exit and i'm pretty sure it's marked monterrey. you'll go on that road about 20 miles until you tie into the highway which connects laredo to monterrey. you enter the main highway right before the customs checkpoint. you may remember the overpass right before you get to the checkpoint.

this route is a little farther in distance but saves tremendously on time and bypasses the hassles and headaches of nuevo laredo.