We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nogales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus Oh
1 post
Save Topic
Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

I am a single man going to visit Nogales on August 25 for the afternoon to shop in the Obregon district. I will carry a passport with me and only be there during daylight hours. If any one recommend where to shop and what to do while there. Also let me know what I should know and do while there. Email me by August 23 before departure to Tucson.

Twin Cities, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

what did you find on your trip - I am looking for rustic furniture - is the obregon a good resource?

Twin Cities, MN
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

what did you find on your trip - I am looking for rustic furniture - is the obregon a good resource?

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

I do not recall any rustic furniture stores on Ave. Obregon in the tourist area. There is a shop on the east side of the railroad tracks about 2 or 3 blocks south near La Roca Restaurant on the last street next to a hill, about 2 blocks east from the railroad tracks.. There is also a group of stores about 1 block south of the border crossing on the south side of the street going west. You can also ask in a store for directions to a furniture store. Negotiate on anything you want to purchase. Start by offering half what they ask, and leave if they don't lower their price.

If you don't know spanish, you are looking for mueblas rusticas (mwehb-lahs roos-tee-kahs). Merchants will often have someone carry your purchase back across the border to your car. Don't drive into Nogales unless you have Mexican insurance.

Park on the US side and walk across. Interstate 19 ends in dowtown Nogales right by the border crossing. There is a large parking lot at the end on the right, "Ed's Parking." It costs $5 to park, is entirely fenced, and is a safe place to park. The border crossing is about 2 blocks east on foot.

Otherwise what there is to do is shop and eat. La Roca (above) is a good restaurant. There are several other restaurants on Ave. Obregon (1 block south, 2 blocks west from the border crossing); some are upstairs; some fronting the street; some in interior patios.

You can save money on lots of things, but you need to know what the value is. It's easy to pay just as much as you would on the US side, and, if you know what something should cost, it's also easy to pay half what it would cost on the US side. There is art, decorative rugs, pottery, clothing, etc. Authentic Zapotec rugs have been priced as much as in Tubac the last few times I have looked in Nogales, and little bargaining, and better quality and assurance of authenticity in Tubac AZ about 20 mil north of Nogales. You can also NOT depend on statements that anything for sale in Nogales is authentic, so buy things you want and like and feel are a good price. Sometimes there are people selling "genuine" Navajo rugs and jewelry; neither would be genuine if it is for sale there. Liquor is cheap, but you can only bring back one quart per person. The best bargains will be on Mexican brands of tequila and brandy .... and Kahlua.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

Forgot some other things I always like to let people know about Nogales.

If you eat there, don't expect to pay much less than you would in Tucson. While there is a large disparity in income between poor people and working professionals in Mexico, and also to the US, the difference for people with good jobs is less in Northern Mexico because Nogales and Hermosillo further south are prosperous centers of business and industry. If I were in central Mexico, such as Guanajuato, a dinner for which I would pay $10 there will cost $15-20 in Nogales. But the food is good! Beer and alcoholic beverages are a little less than the US. Wine served in Mexican restaurants in Northern Mexico is typically either vino tinto (veeh-noh teen-toh) ir vinao blanco (... blahn-koh) ... house brands. You can ask if they have wine by the bottle; some restaurants do.

The other thing is what ID documents do you need. You need none to cross into Mexico in the area within 15 miles of the border. You just walk across (or drive if the case may be). You do need a photo ID issued by a government agency (i.e. drivers license) to return to the U.S., and proof of residency for children such as a birth certificate. In January 2008 passports will be required of U.S. citizens returning at land crossings, including children.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

This isn't directly in response to bwc3's question, and is obviously a bit past his trip anyways, but... Some friends and I are going down to Nogales in a couple of weekends to go to La Roca for lunch. Afterwards, we are going to walk around and see what there is to see. I really want to find some drink glasses, hopefully the classic Mexican glass style with the blue rim. Are there any good places for things like that? Preferably some actual quality ones? It's not the biggest deal as I live in Tucson and there are about 20 different places I can think of that sell the glasses; I just think it would be cool to say, "I got those in Mexico." Thanks for any help!

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

You will find that type of glass in just about any shop where you see stuff for the house. Probably dozens of places.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR INTO MEXICO unless you have someone with you who REALLY knows what they are doing!

1. You need a special insurance rider. Car rental agencies put a special exclusion on your contract.

2. Your chances of your car being stolen increase the moment you cross the border. If it is, your chances of recovery are slim and your insurance will likely not cover the loss.

3. You may find yourself in a situation when a minor deliberate collision results in hysterical threatening behaviour of the other driver that amazingly subsides when you offer American dollars.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,914 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

I agree about not driving into Mexico. To see Nogales, it is quite easy to park on the US side and walk in to the shopping area. But now that you have dredged up this post from the archives, some info needs correction.

What ID documents do you need. You need none to cross into Mexico in the area within 15 miles of the border, or in the free trade zone which includes Puerto Penasco. You just walk across (or drive if the case may be). Adults who are US citizens need a photo ID issued by a government agency (i.e. drivers license) to return to the U.S. AND proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, and proof of residency for children such as a birth certificate. In June 2009 passports will be required of U.S. citizens returning at land crossings, including children. All other nationalities need a passport and proof of legal entry to the US (I-94 form).

9. Re: Day Visit To Nogales Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nogales