We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
CDA, ID
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling to Mexico

Some friends and I want to travel to Mexico and eventaully live there. Where do we start? Any suggestions on where to drive to. Not really into the big cities more of the little ones and the ocean.

Any sites or forums on the web that I can read or check out.

Thank u

Cindi J

CDA, ID

Phoenix
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Mexico

You can't go wrong with Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point. Farther south you have Guaymas San Carlos, and then south of that I recommend the Riviera Nayarit consisting of San Blas down to Puerto Vallarta. If you drive down then I recommend you get an annual insurance policy from www.ammexinsurance.com

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,028 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Mexico

I share your dream.

Most of the resort towns like Puerto Peñasco, San Carlos, Mazatlan, etc., have become quite expensive for housing. People often think that living in Mexico is cheaper than living in the US, and it can be but one needs to get away from the resorts.

Even with the economy as it is, it would require a minimum investment of $250,000-500,000 to buy a condo or small house in the resort cities mentioned. How can you do better, as you appear to want? Get away from the larger places and explore small towns close enough that you have access to medical services and other services you require, and an airport. What will you be giving up? Probably there will not be a large supermarket. Electricity and water may not be dependable.

As an example one such place is Desemboque about 40 miles west of Caborca which is about 4 hours from Tucson southwest of Nogales. Its biggest disadvantage is that it is in the Sonoran Desert region and thus will be quite hot June-August, often 100 and above. Right now it is a small fishing town with some second homes of people from Caborca. There are little food stores, but no grocery store, a couple of gas stations, one hotel. I have never seen property for sale there but friends tell me a house there would cost far less.

The next area south along the west coast where you might find amenable small towns on the ocean would be between Ciudad Obregon in Sonora, Los Mochis and Mazatlan in Sinaloa, and then continuing further south. You won't find real estate listings or information about these relatively undiscovered places. You have to go there and explore.

There can also be bargains and great living in some of the less developed cities .... less developed in terms of tourism while it lasts. An example is Guaymas south of Hermosillo and very close to San Carlos. Guaymas is not a resort city but is very close to a lot of beaches, fishing, etc. For less than $200 a month you can rent there and have a very nice small house or apartment; San Carlos maybe 15-20 minutes away would cost 2-4 times as much. Guaymas has all the advantages of being a prosperous city, but so far it's not a place where non-Mexicans are choosing to live in large numbers. It has all the services you require, and easy access to Hermosillo 60 miles north for major medical services and major shopping. There are many other places like that in Mexico as well as the small towns.

Do some web searches about living in Mexico. You'll learn about a lot of small undiscovered and inexpensive places where people have settled.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Mexico

In a resort city like Puerto Penasco, you can actually now buy a real nice condo for cheap. There are so many foreclosures and people just trying to get out because of financial difficulties. You can find nice condos in the resorts from maybe $125-200k

Communities like San Carlos or ones further south had less of a impact then places like Penasco.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,028 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Mexico

Here is a good resource I found when searching "living in Mexico." It has good info and some good links.

mexperience.com/liveandwork/living_in_mexico…

I found another resource called "peoplesguide.com," but I found a lot of info there was out of date.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,028 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Mexico

I am very familiar with Puerto Peñasco. I do hear that there are a lot of properties there for sale "for less" as a result of the overall problems in the US economy. I personally would not consider living there on a permanent basis as among other factors it is too far to major medical services for seniors. Puerto Peñasco also has no guaranteed water supply, no waste water treatment plant, and no airline flies out of its new airport. It is also an isolated city in terms of the rest of Mexico, being far closer to major cities in the US than in Mexico. That is improved somewhat with the new highway helping to get to San Luis del Colorado and Yuma .... which also makes California closer and all those people over there who want access to such an area for vacation and second homes.

6. Re: Traveling to Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 07, 2009