We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodi and music question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Monterrey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Foodi and music question

I'll be in Monterey in November. Hey foodies out there, what are your favorite restaurants? nightlife?

Houston
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodi and music question

There are some good restaurants in the Valle area, though I've got a few faves downtown too.

Right behind the Catedral, on the edge of the Barrio Antiguo area, is an italian restaurant called Iannilli's. Their food is excellent and the atmosphere just can't be beat --- it's been a favorite of mine for several years.

It should go without saying that you need to try cabrito at least once. There's a lot of good cabrito restaurants around town, but if its your first foray into it, I'd recommend the campy atmosphere of El Rey del Cabrito.

For very inexpensive eating, look for one of the Dona Tota locations. Great gorditas served up quick --- definitely beats "fast food" pits.

Bon apetit!

Mark

Houston
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodi and music question

Nightlife recommendations:

The club concentrations are in two parts of town. There's several clubs around San Pedro/Garza Garcia, and they strike me as catering to a very young 20s kind of crowd. Then there's the clubs in the Barrio Antiguo area which seem to attract people a couple years older (i.e., young people with jobs as opposed to just students mooching off daddy).

There's quite a few other places around town. One of my favorite places to hang out on a Friday or Saturday night is called Casa de Pancho Villa --- it's downtown on Padre Mier. Intimate club setting on weekdays with live acoustic museum in an old hacienda style colonial era home, and on weekends, the big tent area out back is open with a mix of acts.

Have fun!

Mark

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodi and music question

Thanks much for the info!

Monterrey
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodi and music question

Best zones are: Oldtown (downtown area) and Valle (south west area).

You can find a lot of bars and restaurants there, just take a look and pick one.

Regards.

5. Re: Foodi and music question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 13, 2009