We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

My wife and I are no strangers driving into Mexico; mainly Hwy 15 down Sonora through Sinaloa. However, we are contemplating a change of route, driving south from Albuquerque to Cuidad Chihuaha connecting onto Hwy 16 over to connect south to Obregon. Has anybody got any current info/advice regarding driving conditions of Hwy 16(interstate?, toll road?, personal safety,etc.)

I thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
11 replies to this topic
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,431 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Hwy 16 crosses the Sierra Madre Oriental which are remote, rugged and very sparsely populated. The road is winding, slow, and 2 lanes. I have no idea if the route is safe. You would be far better to drive your more familiar route through Sonora, which is known to be safe and less arduous driving.

I personally would not go driving in the back roads of Mexico, and I would definitely not go anywhere near Ciudad Juarez.

Edited: 12:12 am, December 09, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Ciudad Juarez
Ciudad Juarez
Chihuahua, Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Thank You Bob B,

I appreciate your input. Have you driven the route west bound recently? Another post I read said the road is very nice, driving is only encumbered by the terrain.

Thanks Again

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,431 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

I have not driven the road recently, but friends who live in Sonora have. "Encumbered by the terrain" probably means what I said. It is a mountain road with many curves and steep ascents and descents. It crosses a major mountain range. It is also a major trucking route.

Edited: 12:47 pm, December 09, 2012
D S
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Although you have beautiful scenic views in that highway I won't recommend taking that road. I'm from Chihuahua, I love my state and I invite you all to visit it, but that region is not going through its best times. Instead of that, I'll recommend you to take the train from Chihuahua to Los Mochis and then drive all the way up to Obregón.

Mentioned in this post
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
Chihuahua, Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Thank You D.S. very much.

We just completed the trip. The drive across the mountain range via MEX Hwy 16 was gorgeous. The highway was in excellent condition for the most part. Obviously, caution and slow travel is advised.

Feliz Anos!

San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

LMtortugas—

Thanks for the info on route 16. I’m gonna be driving eastbound from Hermosillo in Feb. I’ve done lotsa driving in Mexico, but never that route. Hopefully they don’t have frequent road closures due to snow.

This is gonna be part of a 5 week driving trip from San Diego to as far south as I can get. I’m aiming for Honduras and El Salvador. Made it to Guatemala about 2 years ago, mainly sticking to the highways along the Pacific side, with inroads to Oaxaca and San Cristobal.

Mexico is such an amazing country to drive.

Thanks again for yer input!

Mentioned in this post
Hermosillo
Hermosillo
Sonora, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Diego
San Diego
California
Oaxaca
Oaxaca
Oaxaca, Mexico
D S
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Right now, I wouldn’t recommend driving through that road. There’s been some security issues in that region recently. Instead, I’d recommend to take highway 45 (El Paso, TX to Chihuahua, Chih.) It’s much safer

Mentioned in this post
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
Chihuahua, Mexico
San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Thanks for your advise. But actually, I ended up drive Hwy 16 from Hermosillo to Chihuahua. The road is in good condition the whole way, well marked, and I encountered no problem at all with the people I met and talked to along the way. It was one of the highlights of my trip, in fact.

On the other hand, I drove Hwy 2, the route you suggested, on my return trip, from Ciudad Juárez to Mexicali. This road is in TERRIBLE condition and poorly marked with highway signs, especially within towns and cities. I got lost several times, and my car got TWO flat tires along that route. Several bridges were out, and I had to drive through small rivers. I would not recommend this route to anyone.

Perhaps you should update your sources before providing information to other travelers. I noticed you gave the same advise to some travelers several years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Hermosillo
Hermosillo
Sonora, Mexico
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
Chihuahua, Mexico
D S
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

I did not recommend you driving on Highway 2. I recommended you to drive on the American side to El Paso, cross the border to Juárez and then take the highway that goes all the way from Juárez to Chihuahua (45).

I’m glad that you didn’t have any problem in Highway 16. The fact that you didn’t have any problem does not mean it’s not dangerous. Just FYI, organized crime has the control of that region. I live in the State, you don’t. I’m posting here some recent sad events that happened in that road.

diario.mx/Estado/…

diario.mx/Estado/…

tiempo.com.mx/noticia/…1

Mentioned in this post
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
Chihuahua, Mexico
San Diego...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon

Riding on the US side was not an option, as I rented the car in TJ, and could not take the car out of Mexico. You simply said take the northern route, and I assumed that meant Hwy 2.

I realize you are providing a service to unwitting American tourists. Maybe that good for the faint of heart or those inexperienced with your country.

I love Mexico, have driven it’s roads since 1995, and have now driven through all 32 states, alone, and never encountered anything but helpful, friendly individuals. Just lucky, maybe. But it can be just as dangerous traveling parts of America.

Perhaps I’m being naive, but perhaps you should also give your country and its people a little more credit.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Reply to: Hwy 16 Chihuahua > Obregon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chihuahua