We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving at night

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cayo, Belize
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving at night

We are renting car at the SJD airport and driving into Todos Santos. By the time we stop at Costco, we will be driving to our rental house at night. I've read that driving at night is not advisable - does anyone have any advice or experience driving at night from SJD to Todos Santos?

Wayland...
Level Contributor
488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving at night

Now that the 4-lane highway between Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos is almost complete, driving at night should be much more feasible. I did notice, however, some small sections of the right lane of the highway that were in need of repair. For that reason, if I arrived in SJD after dark, I'd probably consider getting overnight accommodations locally and making the drive during daylight. Others on this forum may offer different opinions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving at night

My friends have lived here for 9 years and do not drive at night.

Between drunks on the road and animals its best not to.

Then there are the deep pot holes that you may not see till its to late.

Take a hotel room for the night and drive in the daytime.

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving at night

The old reason for not driving at night in Mexico was the free range, meaning no fences to keep cattle,horses and burros from sleeping on the pavement that warmed during the sunny daytime and remained warm at night...Now a days all is fenced so all you need to do is take your time,drive the speed limit and watch for potholes and topes....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving at night

If your here before the end of March your welcome to spend the night in San Jose at my place just me here with a three bedroom/ three bath condo on hotel row.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving at night

There is reason at all to fear driving at night anymore! This old fear has been taken away with the new highway and don't beleive for a second thats it dangerous anymore.

6. Re: Driving at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 03, 2014