We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Todos Santos in December

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Todos Santos in December

Hi, all! Just purchased a voucher to stay at Hacienda Cerritos for four nights and will likely be adding a fifth. We were originally thinking the week between xmas and New Years--until I saw the difference in flight prices.

Now thinking late November or any other time in December. I've looked up the weather for that period but would appreciate first hand experience. Is it warm enough for sunning and ocean/pool swimming?

We'll be renting a car and plan a day trip to La Paz. Other than that and toodling around Todos Santos, no plans. Any can't miss activities or locations to visit?

Todos Santos, Mexico
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Todos Santos in December

Hi there,

Both November and Dec are warm, sunny and perfect for swimming. Lots of whales here then too. Nov has way less visitors then Dec.

Have fun!

ZLI
Galiano Island...
Level Contributor
100 posts
458 reviews
2. Re: Todos Santos in December

the weather in Todos Santos in December/January/Feb is similar to summer in moderate climates. Expect lovely sunny days getting up into the high 70's with cool nights, snuggled into the duvet - great for good sleeps! The Pacific ocean in the area can be cool at any time of the year. Some inns heat their pools. An unheated pool can be a bit of a gasper, since the shorter winter days and cooler temps don't heat pools naturally. However, the winter weather is nearly always dry, the beaches are beautiful, walking around the town of Todos Santos is interesting - it's an old place (150 years) full of historic buildings, art galleries with working artists and nice shops. If you like wine, don't miss the shop selling Baja wines and olive oil. Many people like to visit the Hotel Calfornia and I recommend it for lunch. For eating I also like the taco stand beside the fish market or the veranda at Hotel Casa Tota. Todos Santos is pretty small. You will find your way around easily. It's great you are renting a car. Don't miss the sunday craft market at Baja Beans at Pescadero. LaPaz is a lovely city. Walk the Malecon and get a chuckle out of the whimsical nautical statuary. Eat tacos at Bismarcito or the gnoccis with gorgonzola at LaPazta restaurant at the Hotel Mediterane. After a trip to LaPaz, drive home throught the east cape area. The trip back to Todos will take you past some stunning vistas over the Sea of Cortez, through San Jose del Cabo and Cabo san Lucas and back up the Pacific coast to Todos Satos. My husband and I have rented a house inTodos Santos for the winter this year. If you see a couple wandering around with a standard poodle, that's us. Stop and say hello. I agree with the other poster. Lots of whales. Stand on the beach and count how many you spot. When the whales are busy elsewhere, watch for dolphins. Enjoy your trip.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Todos Santos in December

Thank you both so much! Very helpful!

The whales are high on the list--part of the reason for a winter visit. Also good to know about Nov v. Dec in terms of visitors. Another possibility might be sometime during the new music festival in January. Need to decide soon!

And ZLI, we have two hounds of our own, so you can be assured if we see anyone with a dog they're forced to stop and say hello. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Todos Santos in December

We've decided to do four nights in Todos Santos (in January) then one night in Cabo or SJD before flying home. Any recommendations one way or the other? If so, why?

ZLI
Galiano Island...
Level Contributor
100 posts
458 reviews
5. Re: Todos Santos in December

It depends on what you like. San Jose is charming. It's an old town, like Todos Santos, except quite a bit larger. If you want some more cobblestone streets, gardens, shops and art galleries, then stay in downtown San Jose. We like the El Encanto - a colonial style hotel around a pretty garden with a pool. If you would like a luxury resort with all the bells and whistles, restaurants, bars and even a nightclub, then give Cabo San Lucas a try. The road between the two towns is called "The Corridor" and it is is basically a long string of huge resorts and golf courses fronting beautiful pristine beaches; most of the resorts are 4 and 5 star.I really advise if you go for a resort, stretch it to two days. By the time you check in (usually 3 or 4 pm), the day is winding down. You'll lose out on the beach and pool time and "complimentary" cocktails you are paying substantial bucks for. Most resorts are all inclusive. The resorts are reportedly excellent value, but only if you can utilize all the amenities and activities. Since check out is usually 11 or 12 am, If you want to really experience the resort, you need a full day and an extra night. If you can't stretch the extra day, I think you'll be happier and less rushed in San Jose del Cabo. Check the web site for the El Encanto. We liked it. San Jose is also marginally closer to the airport, making getting there and returning your rental car easier. I suspect this is where you will fly in and out. LaPaz has an airport too, but most visitors from the US Westcoast fly into San Jose del Cabo. You could consider staying your extra night in Todos Santo (the Guaycura or Todos Santos Inn or Casa Tota are all lovely hotels right in town). It depends on the time of your flight, since it's at least a two hour drive to the airport from Todos Santos.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Todos Santos in December

Yes flying in/out SJD so sounds like staying in San Jose del Cabo might make the most sense. Cabo San Lucas isn't all that far so looks like either would work, really. Maybe after all that relaxation time we'll be craving some city life and craziness to ease us back into real life! :p

Definitely looking for quaint/authentic not resorty. Will look into El Encanto, thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
3 posts
1 review
7. Re: Todos Santos in December

We will be going to Todos Santos in January 2013 and flying into San Jose del Cabo. We need to rent a car and would like some suggestions on which agency at the airport to rent from? Also any advice on insurance is appreciated.

Thanks,

AMK

ZLI
Galiano Island...
Level Contributor
100 posts
458 reviews
8. Re: Todos Santos in December

All the usual operators rent vehicles at the Airport. Book in advance and be prepared to buy mandatory Mexican insurance. Its not as expensive as US insurance. Its illegal to drive without it and US or Canadian policies aren't valid

Nanaimo, Canada
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: Todos Santos in December

Thanks again! This is very helpful.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: Todos Santos in December

We have rented from Dominic for many years, many times and great service.

He meets you at the airport, gives you keys and an insured car, full tank of gas.

Pay cash and you are on your way. You simply drop the car back at the airport. It is so convenient.....cars have always been top notch! His email is

cars@dominicloscobos.com

Be sure to eat at the Cafe Santa Fe!