We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
denver, co
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

My wife and I just returned from a Cabo San Lucas vacation. We took one whole day to travel to Todos Los Santos because another guest at our hotel recommended it. Don't waste your time!

Todos Los Santos combines the shabbiness of Tijuana with the high prices of Aspen. Cafe Santa Fe - supposedly a 'great' Italian restaurant in the middle of a Mexican desert - had a spaghetti lunch for $28! My wife and I got up and walked out.

The town itself is nothing more than a bunch of overpriced 'art galleries' and restaurants. And it is 2 or 3 miles from the coast - so forget atmosphere.

Lastly, the road to Todos is very dangerous. It is a narrow two lane road with no shoulder and steep dropoffs on either side on which big rig trucks and buses customarily cruse at 110 kph (although the posted speed limit is 80 kph) and they expect you to do the same. If you don't then they pass you -- hills, curves and no passing zones be damned.

Spend your time in Cabo or go down to Buena Vista, but forget Todo Los Santos!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cafe Santa Fe
Cafe Santa Fe
309 Reviews
Todos Santos, Mexico
Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Each of us finds our own experience traveling this planet. Over a number of years I have visited Todos Santos on several tours of the Baja Sur. I'll take TD over Cabo every time...nice people, decent prices for food and lodging...if you take the time to know the territory. There probably isn't a place in Mexico that can be surveyed in a few hours without research and deliver a great experience. Get over it!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,289 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Posts like this amaze me. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to post something so totally negative seems unnecessary. To say you don't recommend it, found the prices high, wouldn't go back....no problem, but you painted an inaccurate, negative picture.

It is a charming little town, with a collection of wonderful places to eat, from the inexpensive to the pricey (yes, Santa Fe is a little high for lunch, but the food is absolutely great, meals large enough to share, the service is fantastic....yes-it's a special treat for me!) I have found some great jewelry buys in Todos Santos, and declined to purchase a few things I loved because they were out of my budget, but that happens here at home also. Some of the things for sale about town are exquisite! As for shabby, I don't think that is a kind way to describe someone's home town-and it's nothing like the highly populated Tijuana. It is a small, charming Mexican town....filled with pleasant people that live and work there. They treat us (tourists) with respect, and I feel they deserve that same respect in return.

The drive there is actually quite beautiful to me. Yes, there are some dangerous places, but I used to drive Hwy. 17 to Santa Cruz CA all the time before the state re-worked it...........that was dangerous! As with any driving, just use caution.

Buena Vista area is also lovely, and makes for a great day trip! I love Los Barriles!!!

I am sorry to get on my soap box, but I find posts like this don't allow us to honestly evaluate a place. Frankly, I think those lucky enough to be living in TS are happy not everyone does love it, or it would soon become just as crowded as Cabo has become......which is considerable since I was first there in the early 70's!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Los Barriles
Los Barriles
Baja California Sur, Mexico
manhattan, NY
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Well said Katd. I totally agree. Todos Santos is a charming and romantic town. Totally different than Cabo san Lucas. Warm people with great places to stay.

We had been in Todos Santos last year and stayed at Alegria and had a wonderful and romantic stay. My boyfriend proposed! YAY! We just celebrated our marriage on the Alegria grounds in March. It was a perfect setting for our friends and family.

Todos Santos really embraced our whole group. We got to know Miguel (miguel's restaurant) Great chiles rellenos. Had great times with Katherine - she gives the BEST pedicures!

We have made Todos Santos a part of our life's memories and will be investing in property for a future home away from home.

Mentioned in this post
Alegria
Alegria
3 Reviews
Todos Santos, Mexico
vancouver
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

can anyone tell me the status of the upcoming development of the surfind beach area called Los Cerritos? I spent some time there this winter and there was quite a bit of rumor about impending growth but no real information. Is this beach to be spoiled by villa's and hotels?

LA, CA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

I bought property in Todos Santos and at one time looked at property in Pescadero. My realestate agent told me that I should stay away from that area as there are some problems. He explained that somne lots have been sold several times over and have not even been titled yet by the ejido. That there were also some problems with the Subdivision plans (lot's being someplece else than where the map has them). There were 2 subdivisions and lot's got moved. Also, I was told that there might be some problems with the roads and acceses.

I would talk to proffesionals. I would highly recomend you speak with Elena Moreno at Grupo Amerimex\. She is a straight shooter and will tell you if there is a problem wit the land you are planning on buying.

It is undeniably gorgeous land. If you want to be away from it all you might ask her about property in Ellias Calles. It is gorgeous and some lot's even have "village " water. I am considering buying some investment property there.

Have a good time looking!

todos santos
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

You either LOVE it or HATE it - Mexico - as it sounds like in this situation.

If you had done more research on Baja California Sur , you would have found out that it is the most expensive state in all of the republic of MEXICO.

Cabo San Lucas , being now the most popular travel destination , by-passed Cancun , which I hear is very expensive.

Todos Santos is definitely a place , unlike Cabo , where you are not harrassed by street vendors. You must not have ever been to Tijuana , because no way does it resemble that town.

There are not shabby houses.

Todos Santos is a weekend retreat / escape for many local Mexicans , who live in nearby LaPaz or Cabo ., and have their 2nd home or relatives here.

And why ? To enjoy the tranquility and weather that we have here in Todos Santos , and of course to party.

We all here, enjoy doing that !!!!

I'm proud to say - I live in Todos Santos.

Been here 22 years.

Wonderful place to raise children.

The Mexicans and foreigners, greet each other warmly, even if they don't know each other. Just a way of life here.

I am sorry and I apoligize for those who made you feel unwelcomed. Taking you for granted, over charging you.

Mentioned in this post
Baja California Sur
Baja California Sur
Baja California, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Maui, Hawaii/El...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Obviously they didn't go exploring the area at all. They didn't go find the magical "Palm" Beach or "Hidden" Beach. They didn't take a horseback ride through the living desert landscape. These are obviously spoiled "City" people who don't appreciate local color. How sad for them.

Orlando
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Just returned from Todos Santos -- seriously, we've been home for about two hours -- and we're already planning to go back.

Hotel California was lovely. A great place to stay.

Al Zaguan has the best fish and shrimp tacos in the world.

The drive is always an adventure -- and so was finding the dead cow/horse on the dirt road to San Pedrito surf spot. I never felt in danger and we did the drive about 6 times from Cabo to Todos Santos.

We always felt safe in Todos Santos. Everyone greeted us with "hola."

Spent a day in Cabo and we could NOT wait to get back to Todos Santos -- I guess we're just not 24-hour party people.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel California
Hotel California
696 Reviews
Todos Santos, Mexico
Orlando
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Just returned from Todos Santos -- seriously, we've been home for about two hours -- and we're already planning to go back.

Hotel California was lovely. A great place to stay.

Al Zaguan has the best fish and shrimp tacos in the world.

The drive is always an adventure -- and so was finding the dead cow/horse on the dirt road to San Pedrito surf spot. I never felt in danger and we did the drive about 6 times from Cabo to Todos Santos.

We always felt safe in Todos Santos. Everyone greeted us with "hola."

Spent a day in Cabo and we could NOT wait to get back to Todos Santos -- I guess we're just not 24-hour party people.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel California
Hotel California
696 Reviews
Todos Santos, Mexico
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,289 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Todos Los Santos -- Don't bother!

Just had to note that there are some wonderful resorts in Cabo that don't have that 24 hour party atmosphere.............which is definitely not what I go to Cabo for ;-)

I stay at either Solmar or Playa Grande, and with the properties on Solmar beach, you can enjoy the sound of the waves crashing and not even be aware that town is just "over the little hill" :-)

I am so glad to read that Todos Santos was such a pleasurable experience for you..........I know, I love it!