We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Arcadia, California
11 posts
Save Topic
ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

This is my first time flying in and out of TJ. Two part question:

1) I'm getting a ride from LA to TJ airport. Do I need to get any kind of stamp at the border or is this all taken care of at the airport? I will be flying to Morelia from TJ and back.

2) Returning on Sunday at 8AM. What is the best and cost-effective way for me to get back on US soil? I have someone that is willing to pick me up as long as they don't have to drive in Mexico.

Thanks in advance.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,028 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

Your best bet for identification purposes is a passport, alternative is official photo ID plus birth certificate. Tijuana and down past Ensenada is a "free zone." You will not be asked for ID going into Mexico, and your passport will not be stamped. At the airport, you are flying within Mexico and likely only to be asked for identification. The safest way back to the US when you return is by taxi from the airport to the border, and walk across and meet your friend who is picking you up.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

usczeus writes>>....1) I'm getting a ride from LA to TJ airport. Do I need to get any kind of stamp at the border or is this all taken care of at the airport? I will be flying to Morelia from TJ and back.

....<<

bobear43 writes>>....You will not be asked for ID going into Mexico, and your passport will not be stamped. At the airport, you are flying within Mexico and likely only to be asked for identification....<<

A point of clarification here. Tijuana is within the "Frontera" (border) zone and as such under routine conditions you do not need to produce any kind of documentation or obtain any kind of travel documents when entering into Mexico. However if you are a non-Mexican citizen or legal resident, travel to Morelia is outside of the border area and you need to obtain a visa, most commonly the FMT "tourist" visas which are good for up to 180 days (at the discretion of the processing officer). You can obtain one either at the Tijuana airport, or when crossing the border itself (there's an INAMI office at the San Ysidro Border Crossing). The fee is about $21, and you'll need either your passport or the combination of an official copy of your birth certificate and "official" photo identification.

Arcadia, California
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have my passport and bought a tourist visa when I went to PV, but that was out of LAX. I think I'll just get it at the TJ airport this go around.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

usczeus writes>>..... I have my passport and bought a tourist visa when I went to PV, but that was out of LAX.....<<

I haven't heard of anybody "buying" a Mexican tourist visa at a US airport before. For both US flagged air carriers and foreigns, the standard procedure for flights departing from the US is to wrap the FMT fee into the total ticket price charged. The FMT paperwork itself is distributed in flight for travelers to complete on the flight into Mexico, and validated at the immigration checkpoint you pass through upon landing in Mexico. The fee collection as part of ticket price is a bit of an issue for Mexican citizens, as well as holders of longer-term visas such the FM-2s and FM-3s who have to obtain a refund for from the airline, an annoying process.

Airlines are charged with verifying that passengers boarding flights from the US into Mexico have the appropriate documentation for entering into Mexico, as well as with collecting the FMTs during check-in for the flight from Mexico to the US.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

I just flew back from P.V. to Tijuana and you need a tourist visa to be in Mexico for over 72 hours.................I also am american and live here. the cost for this visa went up to $32.

They only ask you for this visa when you return to T.J.

Arcadia, California
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

Just got back from my trip. I got a ride to the TJ airport. Flew to Morelia using my CADL. Flew back to TJ using the same thing. No Tourist VISA or anything was ever asked of me. Paid $20 to take a cab to the San Ysidro crossing. I then paid another $5 to take a shuttle to the actual inspection area. This wasn't much faster than standing in line, but at least it was air conditioned, and I didn't have to carry my luggage. Got across with my Passport no problems. Just told them I was vacationing. My friend was waiting right across the street! Much too easy.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
139 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

Welcome home, You were lucky they sure asked me and I am blond and white and blue eyed for my tourist visa.....................maybe because I am blond Huh LOL

Glad you had a great vacation........

8. Re: ijuana Airport to San Ysidro or SD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 17, 2009