We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
897 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

This was poor planning on my part...

My passport is about to expire in March. I just (as in a few days ago), mailed off my passport application for renewal. I have an appointment the beginning of April in TJ with my dentist.

Am I able to bring my birth certificate and DL or is that no longer acceptable when returning to the US? When I Googled I got varied answers. I trust Tripadvisor....

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

The law is that you need your passport. However, there is also a law that as a citizen, you cannot be denied entry to the U.S.

Despite the law requiring a passport, the chances are the border guard will take the driver's license and birth certificate; however, you should be aware that they they have the right to make life difficult for you if they choose: you can be detained a very long time, and some have reported being fined.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

It took about three weeks to get my daughter's passport renewed. You'll be fine.

Tijuana, Baja...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

Not to split hairs, but the passport "requirement" is not a law. It is an initiative of the Department of Homeland Security. The law internationally is that every citizen must be received by the country of his/her birth.

Even your expired passport is proof to the country that issued it of who you are and what your nationality is. Those are the two big questions at the border. People cross with just a DMV identification all the time and every so often they get sent to Secondary for 10 or 15 minutes to await confirmation.

4. Re: Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 13, 2015