We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Parker, Colorado
5 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

We also are going to be in San Diego and wanted to go into TJ for a couple of hours. We used to go all the time and were like locals, but we have not been to TJ in about 7 years and have heard about the travel advisories and concerns.

Anybody been down there recently to give me a read on if it is safe or if we should steer clear?

Hernando Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

I am planning to go to TJ while in San Diego..... I will be in town Thursday afternoon, Friday & Saturday. Is there a better day, less wait to get across the border........ ????

So I don't have to drive in TJ, where can I part my rental car...??

Is there parking near the border?

Any advise on fun things to do, best shopping area?

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,640 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

plenty of parking by the border, then walk across (though it has changed within past year and is a bit more of a walk)....Take a taxi and state $5 US up front...they do accept US $ and give him a $1 tip....Avenida Revolucion is the main drag. Grab a dinner at Ceasar's (original ceasar salad recipe and great beef wellington).....you can watch sports at the Caliente sports book...I may head down later to enjoy a Cuban Cigar (authentic) at La Casa del Habano. if you go over this weekend, best to return as late as possible--definitely not 3-7PM, unless you do not mind standing on line 2+ hours....after 9:30 or so, you should be fine.

43. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, March 09, 2014
44. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, March 09, 2014
Rosarito, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

Tijuana has always been slightly unsafe along with all Mexican border towns. It no longer has the frequent violence with the drug cartels and the police don't bother you as much as before, so it's relatively safe. Do yourself a favor, instead of visiting Tijuana, travel 20 miles south to Rosarito. It's much cleaner, safer, and has beautiful beaches.

santa fe, nm
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

I have not been to Tijuana in several years. Can one still travel there to get medications at the pharmacies? What if medications require a Drs. prescription, are there pharmacies that can recommend a physician?

Rosarito, Mexico
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

TJ is a border town and has never been a totally safe place, but it no longer has the kind of violence that was common a few years ago. I visit TJ at least once a week and the most dangerous thing I've noticed is the crazy drivers. Visiting TJ during the day is always better than at night. But, a better place to visit is Rosarito, which is about 30 minutes south of TJ. It's safer than San Diego in my opinion. The police don't hassle you as they did in years past and the City has been working hard to make tourists feel safe.

Rosarito has numerous pharmacies and many medications that require a prescriptions in the US can be obtained as over the counter drugs in Mexico. If you want to buy things like Valium or antibiotics you will need a prescription, which I understand is not hard to obtain. Prices are usually only 1/2 of the price in the US. I've been told that you need a US prescription to legally bring these type of drugs into the US, even if you get a prescription from a Mexican doctor. I buy my high blood pressure and cholesterol meds in Rosarito cheaper than I can buy them in the US even with Medicare insurance.

santa fe, nm
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

Guillermo, I have a specific question that is related to your owning a pharmacy in Tijuana. How difficult is it to get a doctor's appointment on a day trip to Tijuana? I was hoping to travel there to buy some medications but was told that for one of the medications I hope to purchase (Nocte) I would need a prescription from a dr. I live in NM but feel safer possibly traveling to San Diego then Tijuana than our border cities closer to me. Thanks.

santa fe, nm
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
49. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

Thanks so much for the information Gary C., I appreciate it.

Edited: 9:56 pm, January 14, 2014
las vegas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Is it safe to go into TJ from San Diego Right Now???

If it is illegal to bring back drugs even with a prescription from a Mexican Dr., then are you breaking the law when you bring back yours? If I had a prescription from a US Dr., would a Mexican pharmacy honor it?