We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to TJ

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux
1 post
Save Topic
Going to TJ

Can you cross the border from Tijuana to San Diego with no passport if you are an American Citizen? My daughters dad is there and he tells me I can do this... Don't want to get stuck there.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to TJ

That depends. The legal answer is No, you can't. The law has said for over a year and a half (I think) that a passport (book or card) is required to enter the U.S. from Mexico or Canada.

The passport card costs significantly less than a full passport; you might consider it. …state.gov/passport/…ppt_card_3926.html

It is, however, also true that any American citizen seeing to re-enter the country must, eventually, be admitted. It is also true that lots of people say they are simply waved through with just their drivers' licenses.

So......you'll have to decide.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to TJ

Yes, they will let you cross they wont keep you in Mexico. It depend on the agent they might send you to secondary inspection to verify that you are a us citizen. This happen to my cousin when she pass without a passport :0) she only had her drivers license and birth certificate.

ZLI
Galiano Island...
Level Contributor
99 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to TJ

It is foolish to leave your own country without a passport. You and both of your children should have passports and if you are travelling without one parent, you may be called upon to prove that the other parent permits the travel. If the childrens' father lives in Mexico, the USA may allow you back in but may want the children to prove a) they are US citizens too and b) their father agrees to them travelling to the US without him. I appreciate your family situation may be all in good order, but the people at the border don't know that and parental kidnapping is a problem immigration people are highly aware of. They don't know who has legal custody unless you can prove it. There's a good chance you will go and return without any problem at all; but why take chances?

4. Re: Going to TJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 17, 2013