We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Huntington, West...
5 posts
Save Topic
March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

I will be going to Tijuana for about 6 days in March 2011. I do not have a passport. Can I use a certified US airport and a state issued Drivers license. Where can I find the "rules" on this?

Thanks!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Here is a link to the Department of Homeland Security.

dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travelers.shtm

You do not need a passport to enter Mexico; you need one to re-enter the U.S.

La Mesa, California
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

pstreet is not correct. She has only considered US laws. In order to stay in the border zone for more than 72 hours, you need to get a FMM visa at the border. Mexico changed its laws last year and will require that you have a passport, passport card or other secure travel document in order to issue an FMM.

So the answer is yes, you need a passport if you will be in Mexico longer than 72-hours as you need it to get an FMM visa.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

You say "certified US Airport" If you fly, who cares the what the mexican govt wants. The airline will say adios if you do not have a passport if you fly by plane

Edited: 1:12 am, February 16, 2011
San Diego...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

I walked across the border last week, no paperwork needed to walk into TJ, US Passport used walking back. Not sure if a drivers license would work, but I'd personally feel more comfortable with a passport

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Bring your passport, your license and even a copy of your birth certificate if you can. No need in taking any chances. You definitely don't want to get stranded in Mexico.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

If you have a passport, you certainly will not need your birth certificate. The U.S. has to admit any citizen; they can make it uncomfortable for you and delay you, but if you aren't a criminal, ultimately, they have to admit you.

Los Cabos
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

"I walked across the border last week, no paperwork needed to walk into TJ, "

You are correct, Mexico does not require a passport to enter Tijuana for stays of less than 72 hours. However, if you stay for more than 72 hours, you will need an FMM (tourist) visa and Mexico requires that you show your US passport to get that visa. If you are caught in Mexico without the proper visa, they can make it very uncomfortable for you, just like the US makes it uncomfortable for anyone caught in the US without the proper visa.

If you are flying into Mexico, the airlines will require that you show your passport at your US departure before they will issue you your seat assignment. The airline will give you the FMM visa to fill out in flight before you land. The cost of the FMM visa (about US$23) is included in the cost of the ticket.

To answer the OP, YES you will need a US passport and a Mexican FMM visa to enter Tijuana for a 6 day stay.

Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Do you need a visa to get back into states or show a visa? I am planning to go for the night. What do I need to get into US again?

Miami, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

Also,if I want to get back across and I did not have to show anything to get in,passport or anything,what will happen if I want to get back in and they never looked at my passport??

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March 2011 Will I need a passport to go to Tijuana?

You just need to show an ID to get back in if you have been in Mexico for less than 72 hours but actually since no passport is stamped when entering you can stay for days and if asked when returning just say I came yesterday. Its not that big of a deal...Also, in actuallity you do not need anything to get back into the US if you are an American, US law requires you be let back into the country although it would be a hassle for sure but even if you lose all your ID you will be let back into the country after they check you out in their computers.