We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in TJ

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
elderslie .scotland
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
one day in TJ

my wife and i are planning a road trip thru CA. in Nov.( from Scotland) and plan on spending a day and possibly a night in TJ just to experience Mexico, however having read some of the posts on this site i'm now a wee bit concerned as to what to expect with regards violence, drugs etc.( i'm ginger so i don't think i'll blend)..also any tips on hotels and is the nightlife and shopping as good as i've heard,and where do you recommend?.. cheers

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: one day in TJ

I would recommend you skip Tijuana and drive 30 min. south of the border to Rosarito Beach to get a better taste of Mexico, a seaside experience, and a much better vacation. But of course, I'm prejudiced: I live in Rosarito Beach most of the year. I'd be happy to help you with hotel suggestions, restaurant suggestions, etc. The shopping in Rosarito Beach will be the same as in Tijuana, and you'll be doing the shopping 3 blocks from the ocean. Rosarito Beach has clubs which are well known also. Obviously, I find it safe here or I wouldn't live here most of the year. We still have a house in the U.S., and I'd be there if I were uncomfortable here.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: one day in TJ

Hi;

I would advise you to stay in T.J. zona Centro .

The reality T.J. is a very safe city for the tourist

especially the main drag Revolucion Ave. You can have a wide range of choices hotels and shopping malls . There is Nothing to see and shopping in the Rosarito except if you like to see the beach area.

The violences are happened sometimes in Mexico

Not just in T.J. and have nothing to do with foreigners

Los Angeles
10 posts
3. Re: one day in TJ

I am in either TJ or Rosarito weekly. TJ has more to offer then just Ave. Revolucion. Beyond that it is largely a safe place except for some violence which is typically cartel violence and does not generally affect tourist. It is a rich place steeped in history and has interesting places to see.

If you want to stay in TJ with your family,I recommend staying in Zona Rio at the Hotel Camino Real which is a $5.00 taxi ride to Zona Centro and Revolucion Ave. Check out the Hotel on-line as it has all the amenities and is in a safe area. In the past I have walked from the Hotel to Ave Revolucion without one ounce of problem. Or you can stay at the Grand Hilton Hotel which is very nice and also is a short distance to Ave. Revolucion.

If you have not already done so check out the activities which TJ has to offer on line. It has a lot more to offer then just Ave Revolucion.

Rosarito is also a nice place but I think on balance for a family adventure TJ has more cultural experiences and activities. Rosarito has the beach environment and shops but culturally I think TJ away from Ave. Revolucion is lot more interesting. You can also take a cab to Rosarito for around $30.00 from Zona Rio or Centro. They have great places to eat in Rosarito i.e lobster. If you tell the taxi driver what time you want to return to your Hotel they will meet you at your departure point.

Once again I suggest viewing both places on line to see what they have to offer.

4. Re: one day in TJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:30 am, October 02, 2009