We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help 1st time trip into TJ

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Help 1st time trip into TJ

Thinking about going for the day in Aug/ Sept for the day really looking for recomendations of what to do and what to be wary of.Was thinking of parking up US side and walking in. Advice appreciated

San Deigo
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help 1st time trip into TJ

Joff- If you give me an idea of what kind of things you like to do I can help a bit more.

Basically, if you get a taxis-after you walk cross- and have them take you to Revolution (street), It is the main street, for tourist.

You can walk around and shop, eat and have a couple of drinks.

It is not wise to over indulge in drink.

Keep your money well hidden, and just but some US dollars like $1.00, $5.00 at the most $20 dollar bills. In your front pocket.

As you don't want to pull out a big wad of money to pay for something.

It is a place for barganing, never pay the amount they tell you. Because they expect you to haggle over price.

If you like something, shop around as you might see it in another shop at a lower price.

Stick to the main streets, and don't venture off on to unpopulated area's.

If you feel someone is following, tell a policeman.

You will see several police on sidewalks and corners of blocks.

You can also use credit cards, but may have to pay bank fees.

You can't miss the party places, they are loud.

Outside of the resturants and bars, and shops- people will be asking you "come in here","hey honeymooner, come buy a drink", "best deals here".

It is quite funny.

Just smile and say " No Gracias" and move on if you like.

If you go on a weekend, it will be very crowded.

Week days not so much.

I recommend getting a taxi to take you back before it gets dark. Aug/Sept gets dark at about 7:00. So I suggest heading back at about 5:00.

In a car the boarder waits are about 3 hours long.

Not sure about walking across, because I always drive. But I know it is a lot faster.

You'll have a blast!

BTW, are you staying in San Diego? If so, it is a great city.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Cindy

For Customs, you don't have to fill out a form. Just tell them what you are bringing back.

San Deigo
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help 1st time trip into TJ

buy the way , most of the shops open at about 9:00 am.

brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help 1st time trip into TJ

I visited Tijuana with my sister, even as two women on our own, we were perfectly safe. We received quite a bit of attention from the locals, but never felt threatened. In fact, we were showered with compliments. I've never been offered so many free margaritas in my life!

As other people have noted, there are beggars and people shouting at you constantly to buy things, but if you're firm and keep moving, you'll be totally fine.

We had some fun haggling over over-priced goods and I still suspect we got stung but that's all part of the fun. We visited a bar not too far from revolucion street and had a great lunch somewhere around there also (I can't remember the name of the restaurant unfortunately).

I didn't see any corrupt police activity, so I can't comment on that. Ás other posters have said, I'd be wary of going to dodgy areas at night, but that's just common sense for anyone visiting a strange city.

You'll have a great time.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
878 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help 1st time trip into TJ

Thriller is right, it's really quite safe, as long as you use your common sense.

Parking on the US side and walking over is the best way. You can walk from the border into town, its only about 5 - 10 minutes. I actually found it easier to walk than try and work out taking a cab.

People will approach you and try and get you to go into their shops. Just say no, and keep going if you don't want to go in.

And haggling is fun, I look at it as a game. See how well you can do.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help 1st time trip into TJ

Hi;

I agree Don't try to drive vehicle in T.J. I only drove the car 1time in the 70's. and I called it done finally. Park the car in the USA border lot and walk over the turntile is the Best & Safe & Quick all around. When you are in TJ. you are in a foreign country , no matter how close it is from San Diego.

However, it is very seldom the police will stop and search American tourist on the street. It never been happened to me in 30 years ! Just obey the laws as we usually do in the states and respect their customs.The two most areas popular to American tourist are the Centro and Zona Norte .

6. Re: Help 1st time trip into TJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, September 23, 2009