We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles
5 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

My wife, son and I are planning a day trip to Mexico from L.A. next week. We don't want to drive our BMW around Tijuana. Someone suggested parking on the US side of the border and taking cabs. Or renting.

Any suggestions?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

I don't recommend driving around Tijuana. I've been there many times and always find the driving a bit insane.

This lot is located right next to the Last USA Exit:

Border Station Parking (www.borderparking.com)

4570 Camino De la Plaza

San Diego, California 92173

(619) 428-1422

The lot has 24-hour security. From the lot you can easily walk over and grab a cab to Avenida Revolución, which should run around $5.00 each way. Or you can hop on the mexicoach for around $5.00 per person each way (www.mexicoach.com) .

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

I recommend driving, but I don't recommend Tijuana. I'd drive 30 min. south on the toll road and stop at Rosarito Beach, where I live. :-) The coastline is beautiful, and the entire drive you're right by the water. See my view right beside my post. I'll be happy to email you directions, recommended restaurants, shopping information, etc. You'll have more fun in Rosarito Beach than in Tijuana.

Los Angeles
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

Thanks! Actually we've put off the trip until March. I'll take you up on your offer then!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

Sounds good.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

I'd park my car at the 24 hour parking in SD and then walk to Mexico, then catch a taxi. Me, 5 of my friends and my buddies dad did this last summer and it was a breeze. Once we got in Mexico, there were tons of taxis waiting for our service. They took us to the main strip, and then we took one back to the border a few hours later, waited on line to get back to the USA and walked to our car in the parking lot. Piece of cake

San Deigo
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

I used to drive my Mercedes and never had a problem. But with some of the conflicts going on right now, I think it best to leave your nice car at the parking lot and get a taxi into TJ>

You didn't say if you are doing a day trip to TJ or going further down.

Have Fun

Safe Travels

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

Hi;

Driving your own vehicle is Not recommended in T.J.

I only have done it one time when I first came to the USA. 30 years ago and called it quit , even in the 70's there wasn't much traffic , but, I was quite scare . Park the car on the USA side and walk over the fence is perfectly safe and sound to enjoy T.J. I don't just stay in TJ. for few hours , I need to spend couple days to really appreciate this great border town.

8. Re: Day trip to Mexico -- should I drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, September 19, 2009