We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tijuana as a Kiwi - advice?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
1 post
Save Topic
Tijuana as a Kiwi - advice?

My partner and I are planning a big trip to South and Central America beginning in Mexico. (Its a long way from New Zealand so we're going for ages) We wanted to spend a couple of days in Tijuana but the travel agent here is saying don't stay there, stay in San Diego. I've read some of the forums and I get the idea that you have to be "street smart". I am a whitey in my 20s and my partner is a big Samoan guy. Would we have any problems different from that faced by scott_cancun or does anyone have any different advice that would be specific to our situation.

Also, we planned to stay at Hostal Barnes. We've heard it's basic but fine. Does anyone know if its in a safe(ish) area?

Kia ora

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tijuana as a Kiwi - advice?

My advice is to stay in San Diego or in Rosarito Beach (30 min. south of Tijuana), but not in Tijuana. Rosarito Beach will be a better introduction to Baja than Tijuana.

jsmsyd
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Tijuana as a Kiwi - advice?

Don't worry about staying in Tijuana, it's much more interesting than San Diego and if you're travelling for a while through central and south america then Mexico is the perfect place to start, not in the San Diego, which is all white, not interesting, and you'll likely need a rental car if you want to easily get around. Taxis are cheap in Tijuana, just agree on the price w/ the driver before you head out.

Use your common sense, stay off side streets and enjoy yourself! I have been in Tijuana hundreds of times and love the food, the energy, the arts and culture, stereotypes are not correct, Tijuana has a great art scene, very good restaurants (Cien Años is about the best gourmet Mexican you will find in North America, NY Times food critic agrees).

I haven't stayed at Hostal Barnes, but assume it's basic, but probably fine. Depending on your budget you might try upgrading to Palazio Azteca or even better the Grand Hotel Tijuana.

3. Re: Tijuana as a Kiwi - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, August 19, 2009