We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiwi backpackers LA to Tijuana?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kiwi backpackers LA to Tijuana?

Hi, two New Zealand blokes (aged 20 and 23) are flying into LA in May and are considering living out of backpacks for a few weeks and just exploring wherever the heck we feel like roaming.

One idea we had was Tijuana, since I am under 21 and would have limited nightlife options in the US, and also because I think it would be cool to just check out something new and interesting.

Would walking around with a backpack, taking photos be a really bad idea in Tijuana? I mean, anybody could spot that we aren't even from your HEMISPHERE just by looking at us.

On a sidenote, while on this trip I will be less than a month younger than 21, would this count for anything in the US? Anybody have personal experience with bouncers being understanding?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
224 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiwi backpackers LA to Tijuana?

I don’t think it would be a bad idea to carry around backpacks and take pictures, but it sure sounds uncomfortable. I say get a cheap hotel/motel room in the San Diego and leave the backpacks there. The Motel 6 next to the airport is cheap $54 on weeknights and $65 on weekends. It is 3-4 blocks to the trolley station, close to downtown, little Italy and old town. Being next to the airport it will most likely be loud. The Motel 6 in Chula Vista (10-minutes south of downtown) is $47 weekdays and $54 on weekends. It is one block from the trolley station.

Being only a month away from your birthday won’t help at the bars. Most places here are strict about the 21 and over law. However, there are 18 and over clubs you could go to.

2. Re: Kiwi backpackers LA to Tijuana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, August 29, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question