We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
14 posts
Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?

Hello,

I have never bene to Tijuana before but will be in San Diego soon and am tempted to take the trolly and visit some of the new breweries in I've been hearing about down there.

I've read the general "visiting Tijuana" discussions and getting there seems straight-forward and the tourist areas sound safe enough.

My question is are the breweries generally in safe area and are they close together? Ideally, I would take the trolly down some weekday, cross the border on foot, visit 2 or 3 breweries (not get drunk!) and then cross back on foot, all within a long afternoon. Does that sound possible and does it make sense?

Finally, if I was looking to fit that into a few hours, what window of time on a weekday would make the most sense to avoid lines at the border crossing, both in and out of Mexico?

Thanks!!

4 replies to this topic
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?

If you really only have a few hours, I suggest going in the evening to Plaza Fiesta, where there are several tasting rooms all together. Once you cross the border, you can take a taxi (a white one will be better than a yellow one) there, every driver knows it.

There should only be a short delay entering Mexico while you have your passport processed and fill out a tourist card (FMM). On the way back, how long it takes depends more on what kind of identification you have to get back into the United States.

Yes, breweries are in generally safe areas. Some are a bit more run-down than others (Mamut, for example, is on the second floor of a building on 2nd just off Revolución and the stairwell does not inspire confidence—but fear not, I am almost certainly bigger than you are and I use it just fine.)

There are also beer bars like La Tasca de la Sexta where you can have craft beers from many places, or you could take a taxi to Baja Craft Beers (BCB), on Ave. Orizaba in Colonia Neidhart, one of the wealthiest areas of Tijuana.

If you have a Global Entry, NEXUS or SENTRI card, you can use the SENTRI lane and there will be no wait at all, even at the busiest times. If you have a passport card, an Enhanced Driver License, or a green card, you can use the Ready Lanes and it'll be usually 30-45 minutes' wait at all but the busiest weekend times. If you only have a passport book, you use the regular lanes and it can take 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on how many lanes are open. You can speed things up somewhat by asking your taxi driver to take you to Plaza Viva Tijuana and using the PedWest crossing, which deposits you on Virginia Avenue in San Ysidro—you can either walk over the bridge to the trolley or you can take a short bus ride or a pedicab.

Chicago, Illinois
14 posts
2. Re: Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?

Thanks for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it.

I have more than a few hours if needed, I could devote as much as half a day to it if you though it was worthwhile. Going in blind, I really don't know how many of the places are worth visiting so it's hard for me to guess how much time I'd need. My only exposure to these breweries is what I've read online and some of them sound really great, I'm excited to give them a try.

Are taxis the only option to hop around to the places you mention (Plaza Fiesta and BCB)? Usually when I'm visiting somewhere I tend to travel by foot, but if that doesn't make sense - either because of distance or for safety concerns - I get it.

Also, I unfortunately only have a plain US passport so no expedited lines, but I was hoping going on weekday rather than a Friday or Saturday would help move things along a little better.

Thanks again!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?

Tijuana is an absolutely enormous and very hilly city. From the border to Plaza Fiesta is 2.5 km (1.5 miles). From Plaza Fiesta to Colonia Neidhart is another 2.5 km, and from Colonia Neidhart to the border is 4.2 km (2.6 miles). You could, of course, walk, but you'd spend at least two hours walking in a city you don't know. And while walking can be a beautiful way to get to know a city, you won't be seeing the best of Tijuana on these walks. There's no especial danger, just long, hilly, busy roads and bridges. The only caution would be that sidewalks are an afterthought in many parts of Tijuana, so they tend to be uneven and sometimes missing.

Taxis are much less of a splurge in Tijuana than in the U.S. You can get from place to place for $5 or $7, and you can pay in dollars. You can hail a white Taxi Libre anywhere in the city, or if you want, you can ask the staff to call a cab for you. Anywhere that has a liquor license is supposed to call a cab for free (the call, not the journey) upon being asked.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30,228 posts
4. Re: Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?

BCB ( Baja Craft Beer) has a couple hundres beers on tap or in bottles both Craft Mexican Beers and Craft US Beers. A great bar to try a lot of different beers in one spot, lots of TVs too they’ve turned specific games on for me whenever I’ve asked.

If you have the time and they are in season go watch a Xolos game. Great atmosphere.

Reply to: Tijuana Breweries - Day Trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted