We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rosarito - Do we NEED a car?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Northeast, PA
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rosarito - Do we NEED a car?

I know we can get there by bus from SanDiego but is a car a necessity for getting to/from/around Rosarito or are taxis convenient and affordable or any other alternatives. We will be staying at Escape del Mar (north)? thanx for the advice. Jeff&Yana

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Rosarito
Rosarito
Baja California Norte, Mexico
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Northeast, PA
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Rosarito - Do we NEED a car?

Thanx to all (especially Pstreet1) for all the advise regarding getting around in Rosarito and Ensenada. In the end, we decided to pay the extra expenses and rent the car. It was definately the right decision especially without unlimited time for the bus schedule and learning the routes. We no problems crossing the border to Mx. except some traffic (though we did cross Fri @ 6 pm on a holiday weekend). Driving in Mx was very easy after that. We crossed back via Tecate where there was NO wait, really.

We did rent from Thirfty since we already booked before I read your advice. What you wrote was 100% true. Thirfty WILL rip you off if you don't pay VERY close attention. The counter guy wanted me to just sign our $950 bill. I had to point out how I didn't need the extra $400 in insurance that was attached. He at first was trying to tell me it was only a deposit for the car on my credit card. Nice try, but I told him how I wasn't born yesterday and he took those charges off before I signed. SO BUYER BEWARE AT THIRFTY!

Mentioned in this post
Rosarito
Rosarito
Baja California Norte, Mexico
Ensenada
Ensenada
Ensenada Municipality, Mexico
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rosarito - Do we NEED a car?

I'm so glad the trip was a good one--and glad the car rental turned out to be the right decision.

23. Re: Rosarito - Do we NEED a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, August 24, 2009