We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Rosarito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

I'm taking my teens to Rosarito in July and am concerned about the recent beheading of Police that I read about in the Times. Has there been a lot of violence there lately? Is the beach safe for teens? Anyone have any info? Thank You

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

The only beheadings I've heard about were in Mexico City and drug related; that has nothing to do with Rosarito Beach. Rosarito Beach is an extremely safe place; I feel safer here than I do in most places in the U.S.: there is virtually no violent crime; people aren't mugged, etc.

The beach is quite safe. There is a considerable police presence in the town--because of drunk Americans who come down to party in the clubs--and they are a re-assuming element.

In all the time we've lived here part time, and from all our friends who live here full time, we have heard of no incidents you should have any concern about.

Southern California
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Pstreet1 -

Hate to tell you it was Rosarito Beach. 4 beheadings, 3 police officers among them. Authorities suspect it was drug related.

It's all over the papers here, maybe hushed up in Rosarito.

5956 - although this was a terrible thing that happened, Rosarito should be a safe and enjoyable vacation for you and your teens. Pstreet and others have posted many positive comments on the area and guests to this area seem to have great vacations.

laverne
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

I heard about that also. I wouldn't worry about it. Just stay on major roads ( same advice I would give someone driving into Los Angeles!)

I also have a teen and some 10 yr olds. we feel VERY safe in Rosarito! I have let my teen walk around town with friends and my boys are able to walk around Oceana by themselves. Just introduce you children to the guards at the building and believe me they will be kept an eye on! The beach is very safe with police and lifeguards everywhere! If you walk straight down from Oceana to the beach you are between 2 lifeguard towers that patrol on ATVs. Also, Oceana has a fenced off area on the sand where you can barbeque, have a bonfire, of if you go outside the fence, light off some fireworks. My kids love it!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Thanks for the info. We're staying at Oceana. All those guards sound good to me. We'll have fun. I just got nervous

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Yikes! We've been away from Mexico for two weeks-----apparenly, we missed it. Even so, I still feel safe.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety

Yikes! We've been away from Mexico for two weeks-----apparenly, we missed it. Even so, I still feel safe.

7. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, August 14, 2009