We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Rosarito beach

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
170 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Rosarito beach

I am thinking of going down to Rosarito Beach to stay at the Las Rocas resort for the weekend, but I am a bit apprehensive. I have driven there in the past but I am wondering if it is wise now to display a vehicle with a "California" license plate and attract unnecessary attention. Is there any bus transport from Rosarito to Las Rocas and to Puerto Nuevo?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Rosarito beach

We live in Rosarito Beach most of the year--with Arizona plates. All our friends live here, either full time or part time, with U.S. plates; most of them have California plates. Rosarito is safe. We all cross the border several times a week, so we drive through Tijuana several times a week. Some of us routinely use the toll road; some of us routinely use the free road; some of us vary our usage. None of us is afraid--if we were, we wouldn't be here. Because of U.S. press distortion of what happens in Mexico, tourism is way down (many, like you, are very concerned about their safety); the people here will welcome you with open arms. Come on down!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Rosarito beach

also, from what I am reading, there are route taxis that go down the main street in Rosarito as far south as La Fonda.... But, I've also read they only go as far as Puerto Nuevo. There is so much outdated info out there, I'm not sure which is correct! I'll figure it out when I get there next week and post info when I return.... Or hopefully PStreet knows?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Rosarito beach

I've never seen a route taxi at La Fonda. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen one of them that far south. I see them all the time at Puerto Neuvo, and I see them on the way to Puerto Neuvo---but never farther south.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,499 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Rosarito beach

Evening, you've got mail. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Rosarito beach

thank you Pstreet!

Looked through every Baja guide book Barnes & Noble had on Saturday (and read them there - I spend a lot there!) so dont remember what I read where, but it was probably Lonely Planet or Rough Guide since they're usually more thorough with local transport options

6. Re: Driving to Rosarito beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 13, 2010