We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists in Rosarito lately?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Rosarito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
12 posts
Save Topic
Tourists in Rosarito lately?

So I've been trying to convince my girlfriend for a quick weekend getaway to Rosarito, especially with lobster season coming up. We were there for a wedding at Las Rocas in April for one night. We had a blast but she was not comfortable because there were no other tourists around (other than the wedding party). She says she doesn't want to be the only American walking around downtown, as she feels it brings unnecessary attention to us.

I've been to Mexico many times now and pretty much have all the common sense stuff down, so I'm not stressing on anything. But for her piece of mind, anybody that lives down there, is downtown still empty on the weekends? We stopped at Papas and Beer in April and were the only people in there, which she didn't like at all. Any insight is greatly appreciated. . .

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourists in Rosarito lately?

Ill be there in a few weeks after a business trip to San Diego. Have I been hearing crap? Not from anyone who knows the area, just from the same idiot types who dont travel, yet made comments when I was going to the Yucatan in March (its so close to Juarez after all!)

Strangely no one says a word when they hear I'm going to Mexico City, or Phnom Penh!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourists in Rosarito lately?

Good answer, Evening. A few weeks ago, over 300 police officers and federal agents descended on one area of L.A. to attempt to apprehend 88 gang members. To say they were fully armed would be an understatement. They got around 40 of them and discovered that a number of the others were already in custody. Sound like a safe place? When traveling, reasonable people use their heads.

Rosarito is a safe place to visit. Tourism is down, no question. If the presence of large numbers of Americans is what is required to make your girl friend comfortable, she may not be happy.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourists in Rosarito lately?

I was thinking about last night... I'm probably different than your average tourist, but I prefer to be where the tourists arent!

Even when I was 15 living in France for the summer (and too shy to speak French!), I found out there was an exchange program of Americans in the next town (Bayonne, NJ to Bayonne, France) and I had no desire to meet them.

4. Re: Tourists in Rosarito lately?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 05, 2010