We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Rosarito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

We used to frequent Rosarito quite often before the safety problems. Has anyone stayed down there recently. What was it like and did you feel safe? Thanks.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

We're in Rosarito now; we're in Rosarito well over half the year. The safety problems you refer to are creations of the American media. The murder rate is higher in New Orleans than in Tijuana--even with the drug cartels battling each other. In American cities with high crime rates, the un-knowing tourist can wander into an area where he should not be simply by chosing the wrong freeway exit. That's not true in Tijuana; you'd have to work to get to the un-safe areas. We wouldn't stay in Rosarito if I didn't feel safe; we'd be at our home in the U.S. Our many friends here would be here if they didn't feel safe; they'd be in the U.S. Our friends who live here 100% of the time would have their homes on the market. Our friends who are in the process of moving to the Rosarito area wouldn't do that if they didn't feel safe. Don't believe everything you read in the papers! Secretary Napalitano has said the State Department warnings were issued despite the obvious evidence that Americans are not the targets of the drug violence. She has said Americans are safe--and as I said, those of us who know the area because we live here certainly feel safe. The Americans who have been killed/kidnapped have been those involved in the drug trade in some way or very wealthy Mexican-Americans who cross the border at predictable times because of family obligations or business in Mexico; they are NOT typical tourists driving a nice car. The kidnappers vet their victims carefully; they are after VERY large sums of cash in a very few days; that's not the American tourist who comes to Rosarito for the weekend.

Come on back. You'll be welcomed with open arms by friendly people who are offering very low prices because they really need the tourist dollars. You'll be safe and you'll have a good time.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

OPPS! "Our many friends here would be here if they did not feel safe" is definitely not what I meant to write. They would NOT be here if they didn't feel safe.

Columbia, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

Even though I had a bad -- though, ultimately, uneventful -- experience with a motorcycle cop while traversing Tijuana from Rosarito two years ago, I'm champing at the bit to go back. It's a beautiful, affordable, unique area! That's why I'm even looking at this forum/thread: I'm planning my summer vacation, and Rosarito is near the top of the list.

I'm not inexperienced enough to think that ANY destination is perfectly safe. The best I can ever do is behave safely myself. Frankly, I (legally) carry a handgun 90% of the time in my own city -- even at home! There is no way to predict when and where crime will occur. On the other hand, I don't let fear of what I can't control preclude experiencing the world. And part of the world I want to experience again includes Rosarito!

4. Re: Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:36 am, February 26, 2010
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

When there were several armed restaurant robberies, the police got the criminals very rapidly; let's hope they will get these people, too--sounds as though both incidents could have been the same perps.

6. Re: Let Me Know Your Recent Experience in Rosarito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 23, 2010